Should a 4 y/o know to get up during the night to go potty?

My 4 y/o daughter is still wearing pull ups at night. I feel that I am partly to blame b/c we haven't been consistant with getting her up at night to go potty. I have started to give her a sticker on a calendar every morning she wakes up dry. And we are starting to limit her liquid intake at night. I also am starting to get her up to go when I get up to feed the baby. Are these the only things I can do to get her out of her pull ups. Also when should a child know to get up at night and go herself? The pull ups don't really work like they say they should, she doesn't seem to mind being wet.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 12:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let her have a couple accidents with out the pullups. yes, it's messy, but it ends the problem pretty quick. Just protect her mattress well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son caught on really quickly to getting up at night to go potty, but I did not have any luck trying any type of potty training with pull ups. The thing was, to him, they were just a different kind of diaper. If I were you, I would try putting her in bed in her panties instead of a pull up. You may have a few accidents, but she will learn that a wet bed is really no fun!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It all depends on the child. My son got up out of bed and still does when he had to go. Because I got him up every night to use the toilet twice a night. If she doesn't mind wetting her pants. What does she do if she has no pull up on and wets the bed? Does she still not care? Maybe you can break her of that by letting her wet the bed once.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 7 yo and still wets. She has never had a dry night...EVER. We have limited liquids, gone without pull-ups, woken her up 3-4 times a night, and by morning she has soaked through everything. She is now on prescription meds to help her stop. Just wanted to let you know it is not always your fault. My 6 yo does just fine at night.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes and no. My youngest just couldn't wake up to save her life, so she wasn't trained at night until age 6. The others all were able to get up by about age 4 though, as long as I was consistent about helping them. Of course, once I ditched the pull ups it was much easier (except with the youngest). There are pads that you can place under the child to help with accidents. Sometimes those help cut down on the changing sheets each time there's an accident, sometimes they don't.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my daughter just turned 4 in may and we had a heck of a time potty training her until she reached 4. she was a bit delayed didn't talk and just wouldn't get it but now that she is all potty trained i don't wake her at night. she never wets her bed and never has. once i saw that she was dry every morning then i took off her pull ups. i just make sure that she goes to the bathroom just before bed every night. she won't have anything to drink after 8-9. she may just be growing to fast for her bladder to keep it all in which was the problem with my 18 yr old whom was wetting the bed for 13 yrs. no fun. he is 6,3 at 18.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My 3yo gets up in the night to go potty. Once in a while he'll be sleeping so hard that he wets the bed but for the most part he doesn't have accidents.
    It's important that you cut off all drinking about an hour before bedtime and make sure one of the very last things she does before heading to bed is uses the bathroom.
    Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 1:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Thankfully my 4 year old has not had an accident in the middle of the night in over a year. But my 6 yr old does often and tells me he did get up. He didnt realize that he really did not get up....He was dreaming, and in his dream he got up.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think every child is different. my 4 yo has accidents at nights on occasion but she sleeps like she is in a coma, so probably just doesn't notice. What I did was cut off drinks 2 hours before bed and make her potty right before bed just to be sure... Very very rarely does she have an accident... Maybe when she gets older she won't sleep so soundly but until then... Definitely get her out of the pull ups though...
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son is 2 and 1/2 and has been waking up dry for months now. He wakes us up if he needs to go. All kids are different though. My little brother wore pull ups at night for a long time and is now a perfectly happy (accident free) 17 year old. ;)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 6:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010