• In the Spotlight:

Why are so many wars fought over religious reasons?

At least that sometimes that is the supposed reason ...

tasches

Asked by tasches at 12:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's an easy common denominator. You find it in our own history. Any time the government was pursuing expansion to make it easier for businesses to profit in other countries (and bring that profit back here), they sold the invasions to the public on religious or moral grounds. We invaded the Philippines because we needed a location near China and Japan, but Roosevelt sold the invasion to the public on grounds that we needed to save the souls of those backwards natives who were being converted to Catholicism instead of protestantism. The same argument was used to get involved in various Central and South American conflicts - that we were saving the poor backwards natives who didn't know any better and enlightening them. (never mind if there just happened to be masses of resources there or US corporations setting up mfg sites there).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Because so many religions have a superiority complex... One more reason I don't like organized religion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think God wants us to Love one another.But some religions don't teach that.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wars have always existed and will continue as long as this world has limited resources. Water, land, oil, food, money, you name it, people will fight over it.

Religion is a powerful tool in getting large groups of people to follow certain actions, so it's not hard to see why leaders have justified creating war in the name of their gods. Leaders need soldiers and support from the masses.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Easiest way to gain supporters for your cause, make them believe their religion, their beliefs, their god, their "soul" is under attack. Most people who think they are fighting for religious reasons never bother to look at the big picture. They remain blind to the real cause. Religion has become one of the largest political tools to gain supporters for the fight over money and power.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Religion is about control. Gaining control of people and their assests, in order to gain control of more people and their assests; a quest to rule the world.

Depending on personality, some people take the religious message to the extreme and become zealots.
    There is no reasoning with a zealot. These are the people that end up fighting (literally) for their perceived cause.
    Organized religion is a dangerous animal, IMO.
    All about controlling people and their money. God, spreading the message and the way VS eternal damnation are great recruiting tools.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Beats the crap out of me...I don't understand.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Because people get crazy when it comes to their eternal damnation and are able to be brainwashed. While religion is used as the carrot to dangle...its usually just power hungry evil people manipulating people using religion...its a red herring

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have been part of an organized religion my whole life. Not once has my religion tried to "control" me..my free will is still my own. Not once has my religion tried to gain control of my "assets"..I give what I want to give. My religion has never used me for the purpose of war or as the encouragement for violence. My religion however has been used by others AS the purpose of war.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i'm just spit balling here but it seems to me that religion encourages a closed mind and when you are so set in your ways like religion asks you to be, example christians are supposed to love the gay person not their lifestyle well i think a gay person would tell you that there is nothing wrong with their lifestyle and they shouldn't have to hide that or feel ashamed about it, but christians seek to want to change the person but that's not right in my opinion. that's just an example of how religion can encourage a closed mind. and also a lot of religions tell their believers that it is their duty to spread the word and convert people. when you have a group of very emphatic believers trying to convince someone else who believes something about how the world should be, well that's a huge connflict and i think it can lead to and has lead to hatread and violence in the past and present...if any of that makes sense lol
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010