Can my good old Cafemom ladies help me make the right decision?

I am trying to decide what to do for my next move. Me and SO split up at the end of May, I lost my home and have moved back with the parents for the time being. I go to school full time and have a 2 yr old daughter. I am having an extremely hard time keeping up with bills, actually paying them all together since I do not have a job and have no one to watch DD if i got one. I am considering dropping out of school to do online courses for a Pharmacy Technician, its a 300 hr online course that I could finish in 6 months doing 15-20 hrs a week, But I could of course dedicate more time if I had it. That way I could work during the days and still be with DD at night. What are you thoughts on this, or should I stick it out for another 6 months incomeless. The only income I have is child support and feel terrible living off of it since its for DD, not me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Stick it out if you can. See if you can get a part time job waiting tables two nights a week.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you only have six more months until you get a college degree........why would you even think about quitting? Deal with being broke for a few more months. If it bothers you that bad then keep track of what you have spent and when your done with school in 6 months and working you can pay it back to your kiddo. Good luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You should stick it out, you would be using the money for her by paying bills and finishing school so you can get a good job and make a better llife for her and you. It will be hard during those six months but the long term will be easier because of it. You can do it! Your daughter would probably make the same decision if it was up to her!
    3kidcircus

Answer by 3kidcircus at 12:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with lovinangels to stick it out with full time college. Have you applied for a Pell Grant for free financial aid?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• oh, stick it out ! 6 more months is a mere drop in the bucket ! what are you going through for ?
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Finish school! Don't drop out to do online pharmacy tech courses, for a few reasons. 1) a lot of chain stores will hire you without the certifications and pay to get you certified....that's how I became a pharmacy tech. 2) The way the new technology is changing, the chain drug stores are going to be able to work with a lot less technicians than they have in the past, so the demand isn't like it was 10 years ago. My husband manages a big drug store and he had to let go of 1/3 of his technicians a few months ago because of the new centralized process his company now has....and it wasn't just him, all the stores had to let go of 1/3 of their technicians. So 3) you would be competing with all of those experienced technicians for fewer jobs. 4) The pay isn't that great until you have done it for several years. But the way the cost of living keeps going up it still stays not great.
    Finish school doing what you are.

slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• cosmetology, I am wondering if the pay is going to be that great when I am done too
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• US Career Institute is what I did. I loved it!!! Happy to help with any questions.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 2:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• By all means, finish your education or you'll be worrying about money forever. A pharmacy tech is a good paying job. With it you'd be able to move out on your own, pay your bills and take care of your daugther. Maybe you can find a job with your university or get a temp job or anything that will give you valuable experience. Check around. There might be some childcare options available that you aren't even aware of.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The online, for profit schools are mostly scams, and will not help you get a job.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010