My 20 month old will NOT eat anything but crackers and fruit...

...and drink milk and water. Is this normal. I have attempted to feed him but he turns away his head. What should I do?????

imjustme0502

Asked by imjustme0502 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL, mine did that too. She's 30 months now and is now getting to where she'll eat regular meals. One thing that really worked for me that made sure she got enough nutrition is get a divided plate and put cheese, crackers, fruit if you want, and then let him drink v8 splash diluted with water. I read that toddlers graze rather than eat at meal times. They also sell vegetable chips at Aldis that are really good. You have to find ways to sneak in veggies, like put peas or carrots in tuna helper, that kind of thing. I've even heard of moms putting spinach in chocolate chip cookies!

But to answer your question, yes, normal. Some kids are just picky.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Children pick out foods that they like and chose not to eat anything else. Lots of children do that. You just have to keep offering him other thigns to eat. With time he'll try them.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Be happy he's eating! lol Mine goes through little phases, she'll like one thing one day and won't eat it the next.THen she won't eat anything at all for two days then she'll only bread.
    Sigh.
    I say...as long as they are growing.As long as they are not showing signs of malnutrition, they are fine. All we can do is keep on exposing them to foods that are healthy and a variety and hope they will eventually take to it.
    Good Luck and try not to woory too much :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is sooo normal! I wouldnt worry but if you are concerned ask your pediatrician. As long as he is growing, and functioning and being himself I wouldnt worry. It gets worse before its over. Many children dont even eat at all and that is still okay to a certain point. You know your child the best and if he is being picky just give him a few days and you'll see that he wants other things soon enough.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010