Stomach migraines...what can I do for my son?

DS wakes up in the middle of the night crying in pain. Sometimes he vomits before he can get to the bathroom. Tonight it started just before he fell asleep. No vomiting but severe pain. What causes this and what can I do for him? Doc called it stomach migraines and just said he'll grow out of it.

rwwmom

Asked by rwwmom at 10:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Poor little guy - I can so relate...

From what I have learned about stomach migraines is treatment is similar to regular migraines. Diet is key, low stress, etc - Diet includes no processed foods, more healthy foods - the less chemical additives the better. I read that as with migraines, early treatment is necessary, but with stomach migraines, you would have to treat hours before regular symptoms start.. Basic pain relief meds - Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc - it needs to be in the system before the onset - however, the problem is to much of either is horrible on the liver. Phytonutrients are key (fresh frutis and veggies)

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When a child has a headache , that worries me. I think I would go to a different doctor for a peace of mind just to see if they have the same prognosis.I hate headaches and can't even imagine having a child having a migraine alot.If they have meds for grownups with migraines, then they have them for children..
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2008