Fevenot responding to meds HELP

Has anyone had their child run a fever and not respond to motrin tylonol? My 2 year old has been running a fever since sunday evening. it has been between 100.5 - 103 and i have been giving her the typical motrin and tylonol swap, but it does not bring it down it stays over 100 i have an appointment for her at the doc but its for tomorrow their "first available"

wantherout08

Asked by wantherout08 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried a cool bath yet? Letting your child eat popcycles. That can bring a child's temp down.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• a fever is the body's natural way of fighting, with out the fever the body isn't fighting. If she's not showing signs that the fever is actually bothering her, then skip the tylenol
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Technically it's not a fever until it reaches OVER 101... My kids don't respond well to either, and tend to run a high temp (over 104.5), I strip them down, give them a cool bath, and lots of fluids. Rarely do I administer a fever reducer.

Did you know that the reason we run a fever is to kill a viral or bacterial infection, and that when you give fever reducers when they are NOT needed (only reason they are, is when a child becomes dehydrated, or runs a temp over 105.5 which can be a contributing cause of febrile seizures) you prolong their illness, and even make it more severe?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• she has been laying around and not doing much of anything. not eating and i am FORCING her to drink just don't get it so frustrating
    wantherout08

Comment by wantherout08 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Def try the cool bath, that is what we do for our patients in the hospital. If her fever goes above 103 I would call the doc again.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The doctor has told me anytime her temp is over100.4 to give her meds. she has a breathing problem that gets critical very fast ans it starts with fevers. so anytime she has a temp over 100.4 she gets meds!!
    wantherout08

Comment by wantherout08 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Since it has been SO long, I would take her to the Dr. to be safe. If he can't get her in, try an urgent care (for pediatrics) or the ER.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would take the baby to Urgent Care.....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• UPDATE****** I took her to doctors care she has Strep YUCK but at least she is on antibiotics!
    wantherout08

Comment by wantherout08 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010