SCARED TO DEATH

DID ANOTHER LEVEL II ULTRASOUND AT 30 WEEKS TWO DAYS AGO. THE TECH SAID SHE WILL BE RIGHT BACK AND RETURNED WITH A DOCTOR. THE DOCTOR SAID THAT IT LOOKED LIKE MY LITTLE GIRL WILL HAVE A CLEFT LIP, BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM SEVERE. SHE ALSO SAID SHE SEES TWO SOFT MARKERS THAT COULD POSSIBLY MEAN DOWNS OR OTHER PROBLEMS. ONE WAS A CALCIUM DEPOSIT ON HER HEART AND THE OTHER WAS A DILATED BOWEL. BOTH ARE COMMON THIS FAR IN PREGNANCY. I HAD THE QUAD SCREEN AT 18 WEEKS AND THE BLOOD TESTS WERE NEGATIVE. OF COURSE, THE QUAD IS ONLY 80% ACCURATE. I DECIDED TO DO THE AMNIOCENTESIS YESTERDAY. I KEPT CHANGING MY MIND, BUT I WANTED TO PREPARE MYSELF IF SHE DOES HAVE SOMETHING. THE DOCTOR ALSO SAID THAT IF THE RESULTS CAME BACK POSITIVE, A SPECIALIST NEEDS TO BE PRESENT AT THE BIRTH FOR COMPLICATIONS. THE AMNIO WENT VERY WELL.I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD THESE MARKERS AND WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME?

amv1010

Asked by amv1010 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry and I hope all turns out well for you.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I've never experieced anything like this but I hope everything turns out ok with baby.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The only one I have experience with is the cleft lip. My son was born with a unilateral cleft lip and palate. A cleft baby needs a special bottle to be able to eat but they are usually pretty easy to find (that and if you can get your doctor to write a script for them then you can get insurance to pay for them since they tend to be around $25/bottle). With the cleft there will be a few surgeries (it depends on if the palate is cleft also before you know how many surgeries she will need). Try to keep your head up and think positive. If you need to talk or vent feel free to PM me. Good Luck.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Awww, I can just imagine how you must feel. Take a deep breath. Try not to go google crazy looking stuff up because you will scare yourself even more.
    I didnt have all the things you mentioned but during an ultrasound, they did find a marker for downs sydrome with my daughter. She had a calcium deposit on her heart...3 spots on her heart. I had to continue to go to ultrasounds to get checked throughout the pregnancy. In order for Downs to be more likely..they said there would have to be 3 markers on 3 different organs...and you said she had 2...so thats a good sign,ma.
    My daughter was not born with downs but she did still have the spot on her heart.I was told that after about 2 years,it will close up.
    Hang in there. I will say a prayer for you and your family.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Keep your chin up and hope for the best. Sometimes the doctors suspect something is wrong with a baby and it ends up being born perfectly healthy. Best of luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Best of Luck.
    Remember it's just a computer.
    And like my Dad says.
    Computers dont fell human emotions.
    You will be fine and your baby will be fine.
    That computer is probably very wrong!!!!
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 8:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010