My son seems to behind in his eating habits, please help. adult content

28 month old boy, still wont pick up a 1/4 half of a pb and j i have t cut or break up every thing for him and i see kids younger then him eating whole chicken nuggets, sandwhich halves, apples slices all on their own and mine just wont, I still have to feed him and he is pickier by the day. He doesnt like much, does this phase pass, any advice??

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would probably say just leave it on his plate. When he gets hungry, he'll figure out how to eat it. My dd is 16 mo. and she eats everything by herself and is learning to use utensils.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes, he does seem to be behind. Have you talked to his pediatrician about it? It could be that he's being stubborn and can feed himself but won't because you help him, or it could be that he has some sort of motor skills issue. Best to get the medical issue ruled out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with HotMama330, run it past your pediatrician. That's behind for his age but it could be nothing more than stubbornness.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree that this is a topic you should talk to his doctor about, ask about Occupational therapy and feeding therapy. He may have a fine motor issue in his mouth.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well you said when you feed him he does just fine, so I don't think it has anything to do with his mouth. If you have tried a big variety of foods and he still doesn't want them, it may not be him just being picky either. You might want to try to refuse to help him more and more each day and see if he catches on to the idea. If after completely trying to get him to do it on his own and you leave the food there for him to get whenever he wants, and he still doesn't respond to that after a couple days, then you should talk to his pedi. Hope this helps :)
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 2:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010