My four year old is sick and I can't get a doctor to care!!

Hey ladies... I thought I might post my son's issues on here and maybe you guys would have some suggestions?

He has these episodes... he'll wake up and be grumpy and not want to eat or cooperate... then he'll get a fever usually 103.6 or higher... then he'll start vomiting and won't keep anyting down... nothing!! not even a spoon of water! sometimes it will be just for the day ad sometimes it will last for a few days... the fever will break once the vomiting has stopped! usually we end up in the ER to get meds to make the vomiting stop...
I don't know if all these times he's sick are just viruses...different ones... or if they are connected but there is deffinatly a pattern! The doctor we saw in the ER was convinced there is something worth testing for here but the family practice doc we followed up with didn't seem to think anything was wrong.... HELP! lol...we are switching doctors today for a second opinion...

ShanonP

Asked by ShanonP at 1:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Good for switching doctors. That's the first step.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would look for a specialist. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would go to a different doctor and demand testing. If your willing to pay, they can't tell you no. GL!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 1:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Nobody knows your child better then you. If you think something is wrong, dont give up until you find someone tha will listen.
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sounds almost like an auto immune issue. Does he have problems keeping weight on? Any allergies?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Switching docs would be the first step and also keep a journal of foods, fevers, and anything else that might be relevant. You never really know what could be the cause so just keep a journal of everything.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• General practitioners aren't very good. Go to a pediatrician. Have you went online and put in his symptoms on a medical site and gotten anything. A self diagnose thing. A lot of times you can figure out what is wrong just by doing that.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh, I had a problem like this with my DD. She couldn't go #2 and every 3 days or so it would come out insanly. We saw probably about 5 doctors who said she was still learning and she was fine. Finally I went to a speciatist who ran a few tests, that I demanded, and they found out her lower intestine was severly clogged and on the virge or rupturing, which could of killed her. Keep going to the docs!!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 1:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• omg allfiller! im so sorry!!

and so far hes not allergic to anything... he is skinny but that runs in my family for kids...

when he was born the cord was wrapped around his neck and he lost all fluid in his belly and intestins... they had to feed him through a tube in the NICU for three days before i could have him...

am i being weird? this sounds like something right?
    ShanonP

Comment by ShanonP (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• were switching to peds today and should have an appointment in a few days... the blood work from the ER visit showed his white bloos counts were up so there is something going on here...
    ShanonP

Comment by ShanonP (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010