When did we stop being mothers, and give up on common sense?

Why, when common sense will do, do you take your child to a doctors office for each and every sniffle, scrape, cough, fever, and ache?

Am I the only one who realizes that they are not some sort of god, but are people, humans, mammals, just like we are- and they do NOT always have the best answer?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I kinda stick with the common sense thing... and the mom things... holy crap, I'm a SuperHero! LOL.... I never take my kids to the doctor for stupid stuff. Unless they are coughing up a lung or have broken bones... I can usually handle it!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 1:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• And again, no, you are not the only one.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• nope...i dont bring her to the dr's for ever little thing!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh girl..I agree with you! I don't take em to the dr unless its super duper serious! I think Im smarter than the dr anyway! ;)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You know, my DH and I JUST had this conversation! I don't get it either... If they aren't dying, or in danger or long term issues due to injury or illness, there is NO reason to head to the doctor, medicate or worry... Common sense and love is more than enough to get you through!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I only take my little one in if he is really sick.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't take my son for every little thing, but if I'm uneasy, I will take him. I don't think that doctors are all-knowing Gods, but they do know more about medicine and illness than I do, even though I know quite a bit.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I do not take my kids to the doc unless it is serious and I actually think they need urgent medical attention. It probably helps that I have healthcare training.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree. I once took my daughter to the ER at Ft Bragg because she had an ovarian cyst and in a tremendous amount of pain ...and we had to wait for at least an hour because there were so many kids there with runny noses and their Moms were having a fun chat fest while waiting. I was just seething. I rarely took my kids to the clinics...their medical files were so thin thatDoctors always commented and asked how come my kids were so healthy. LOL.A high fever...an injury that needs stitches..that kind of thing, they are good reasons. A sniffling kid? No.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• With my first child I took him to the doctor often..I was paranoid,lol. But as he got older and when I started having more children and had more knowledge about illnesses and fevers and rashes and all that..Im way more laid back about it.
    I think people get scared and when they arent sure of something, they just want to be safe.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010