sooo stressed with my 2 week old

I'm a new mom and my baby is 15 days old as of today. I'm so overwhelmed I cry almost everyday I'm trying my best but I feel so stressed and I feel like a bad mother. My baby cries constantly. He naps and when he wakes up he spend the hours he's awake mostly crying. I feed him, burp him, change his diaper, hold him, do everything I feel like I should but he still cries. It's exhausting and so frustrating and I know I can't be the only one having this problem. I'm just looking for some words of encouragement/advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can be overwhelming. Do you have help? FF or BF? Have you tried skin to skin contact? A wrap/ring sling? gone outside for fresh air?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• First of all hang in there. You are not a bad mother. If you were a bad mother it wouldn't stress you out that you were having these issues. A bad mother wouldn't care. You are new at this so it is natural that it will take a bit of time but have faith that you will get the hang of this and fall into a groove. Now, a few things to try. Swaddling can really help so try this to see if it calms baby. The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD gave me tons of great tips for calming fussy babies and they really did work for me. Do you have a swing? Those can be great for keeping baby asleep. If you are nursing then I also recommend putting baby to breast as often as you can when he fusses. He may be hungry and if not the sucking will likely still sooth. You might feel like a human pacifier but if it stops the crying (from both of you) then it is worth it in my opinion. Lastly, if you feel overwhelmed don't be afraid to ask for help. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• try having someone else hold him. and relax. babies can sence your tention, which could be your biggest problem. change his environment. if you are trying your best then you are doing a great job! it's NOT easy taking care of a new born. the first few weeks are the hardest. have you tried a pacifier? swaddling? singing to him? a swing?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I cried very easily, too, after my baby was born and didn't find out until after the fact that what I had was a mild case of post-partum depression. Sounds like you may be suffering from it, too. Things will get better, but it's very hard in the beginning. A swing was a lifesaver in our house. Maybe your baby has colic or his tummy isn't feeling well. If it continues, you might want to call your pediatrician.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Having a newborn can be overwhelming at times, I'm sure we've all been there. Relax, I bet you're doing a great job! Remember, your hormones are in overdrive after having a baby, which doesn't help anything :) Do you have a friend or relative that could sit with the baby for a few hours to give you a break?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You need a different atmosphere. Why not take a small stroll with the baby for a little bit It will do a lot of good for you and the baby.
    I think lack of sleep has a tendency to do that when you are taking care of the baby.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son was like this till I started taking him for walks then I got him a Cradle n" swing, sometimes he just needed Daddy or just anyone other then me to hold him.
    Owensmommy32010

Answer by Owensmommy32010 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Some babies are like that. You just need to find something that soothes him. A vibrating chair, bouncing on the bouncers, skin to skin contact. Take a shower with him (my son loved that, hated baths at first!) Could be fussy if his formula doesn't agree with his little newborn tummy, some babies thats how they show they are allergic to a type of formula, I was allergic to all and cried a lot when I was a newbie. My poor Mom! If you are breastfeeding, he might not agree with something you are eating.

Hang in there Mom, you are doing great! You've made it this far. : )
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 10:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010