How old is old enough to learn how to swim?

ocielee

Asked by ocielee at 1:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can start them out really early. I didn't get to, but, my son learned perfectly at age 4 in two weeks. He is an awesome swimmer at 14 and those two weeks were the only he had.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'd say 4 or 5

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It really depends on where you want the lessons, every place has different age limitations.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• as soon as their cord stump is healed.

Babies can learn to swim before they can learn to walk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• As soon as possible. I would say defiantly by the age of 5. I could swim before I was one, at two I was jumping off the diving board and swimming in the deep end without a float.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• we have been able to teach our dd slowly this summer. she is almost 2, and hopefully this coming winter we will put her in formal lessons. I think the younger the better especially to teach pool and water safety young.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• To go to swimming lessons, I think the youngest class you can find starts at the age of 5. But if youre teaching them how yourself, any age you feel they are ready. My son loved water and was like a fish at the age of 2.I wouldnt let him go in deep water,lol...but he sure wanted to. Just make sure to have them use some type of safety jacket.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Aisha- you were a water baby too then!!!

My mom had me in the water almost immediately, and by the time I was a year, I was swimming on my own.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I was taught to swim starting at 3 months old. I learned to swim in Hanauma Bay in Honolulu. LOL. I started teaching all my kids when they were about 2-3 months old.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Some suggest 3 years... I put my oldest in swim lesson at age 3 and my midle child at age 2. They both learned that summer at the same time. I also worked with them and we swim alot. They are now 5 and 7 and swim pretty good. they still do lesson but are learning different strokes and dives and advanced type stuff. The youngest did swim lesson at 2 and she now swims just 5 feet but next summer she will learn to really swim.

I never use life vest on them as they are learning because it gives them a false sense of swimming.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010