Have any previously long-time smokers out there quit?

My dad smokes, and has for almost 20 years. Surprisingly, at 55, he's really healthy, but I'm worried sick about him as he gets older because of the smoking. He is so strong, smart, and logical, but this is his one weakness. The cigarettes really have a hold on him. He's tried to quit, but always gives in. He wants to quit, but it seems like he can't. I want him to quit now to possibly help somewhat as he gets older, even though a lot of damage has probably already been done.

Has anything worked for you or someone you know who has smoked for such a long time?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Health

• I think if he hasn't been able to quit that he truly doesn't want to. I think you just really have to want to, I smoked for 10 years and I quit cold turkey, twice, lol, it was because I got pregnant, quit, had the baby, then started up again when he was 6 months old, then later got pregnant again, and quit again, and this time he's 17months old and I'm still quit. My husband quit too, because we wanted to be a good example to the kids. But we both loved smoking, lol. Most smokers, love smoking, and it usually takes some outside thing to make them quit. Like a health condition, or a pregnancy, or something else. good luck, I think he'll quit when he truly decides he wants to. I don't think there's anything out there that will really help without the will behind it.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well, he has no current health problems, other than the state of his lungs, but even then, he's active and has no breathing problems currently.

You don't have to be so rude and judgmental, ya know. He is extremely intelligent and KNOWS it's bad for him. It's called nicotiene. He's not doing it because he enjoys it or thinks that it's beneficial. I don't think that anyone who smokes isn't aware of the fact that it's bad for them. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he lived a long life anyways. Almost his entire family has smoked, and they all lived to be in their 90's, and a couple even lived to be over 100.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I appreciate the advice about the Chantix but I don't appreciate you questioning my dads intelligence. He's extremely successful and is an amazing man and it's not up to YOU to argue that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• First of all, NO ONE is healthy and smoking! That's like saying, "I'm the healthiest fat person I know!" Are you serious?
    I quit several years ago using Chantix from Pfizer. It works great! It'll make the next cig taste like something he left in the
    bathroom. I haven't smoked since and glad to be rid of that bad habit. You can suggest ways to help him but in the end, he has
    to decide when he wants to quit. If he was so smart & logical then why does he continue to do something that is bad for you.
    Psssst: There's a label on the package that's from the Surgeon General! Hint: It's bad for you!!!

Smoke less live longer!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010