What should I be doing?? Parenting Style / Discipline question

So I have a 2-1/2 year old son. He's also very strong willed and stubborn and although I don't know if he has ADHD, me and his father both have it so his chances are 90% that he could have it.. We've been disciplining since the beginning,... say 1 years old.. time outs in a certain chair /room, not giving in to fits or tantrums, trying rewards and charts for extra encourangement.. etc.. My question.. I find myself repeating over and over and over for him to do something.. even as "please come here, its time to get your Pjs on" he runs hides, laughs, til I have to walk up and get him, lay him down etc.. I expect/help toys to get picked up each night, I tell him its time and I have no problem "helping' but he's almost 3 - he has certain areas for each thing but he will test me and not put anything away until it gets taken away.. I only ask twice and then they are taken -but this is after 2 years of doing this.. I am not getting

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Youre doing a great job and yes..it will eventually pay off...it may take 30 years..but yes, it will pay off! LOL
    My son is 10 and I still have to repeat myself a hundred times.
    For that matter...my dh is 39 and I have to repeat myself 200 times! LOL
    And no..neither have ADD
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would say also praise when he does a good job. Some children "Act UP" as a way to gain attention. So I try to influence my daughter through positive aspects.. for example I tell her to pick up her toys not ask, when she does I praise her and say good girl! and she gets so happy that she keeps helping!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't know honestly I think 2 1/2 may be too early to expect so much, but that could just be me (its been awhile since my boys were 2). Have you tried turning clean up into a game? I use to start singing or racing around to see who could put things away faster or singing as to where they all go, my boys loved this. Repetition is normal at that age too, don't beat yourself up or your son over it, eventually the repeitiion starts to fade (although my kids 12 & 15 I still have to remind them about stuff) As for the bed time ritual, rarely did I have to chase my kids to get them dressed (fight with them on what to wear yes!), if you don't already have routine make sure you start one, ie: bath, jammies, drink, book/song, then bed or whatever - if he doesn't get the jammies on when he's suppose to - no book, no drink consistency is important as much as consequences are important rewarding behavior is just as important.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• cont'd anywhere .... I find myself just repeating over and over - or taking toys away and he could care less about it either - if he wants something and can't find it, its instant meltdown, I am trying to teach him to look before he freaks out or " all we have to do it try first and then you can ask for help" when he can't do something but I swear.. its not working.. any one have better ideas? lol!! I am not at my wits end or anything but this sure isnt working, or will it eventually? lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My mother would say that he needs just one good spanking and then he will fall into line. Im not sure though, my DD is pretty well behaved.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 1:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010