Does skipping meals really make people gain weight?

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 1:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes.. Your body stores energy (ie: fat cells) to keep it functioning during it's "starvation" period. And it also causes your metabolism to slow down. So when you do eat, your body doesn't burn the excess "fuel" (ie: fat) that it has stored up.

If someone is trying to lose weight.. Not eating is the wrong thing to do. It's counterproductive.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes,your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to all the calories and fat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sure does.. just eat little stuff.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Itn did me and I am also a dietabie type 2 from it so not i eat
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 1:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes! Your body thinks it needs to hold on to the calories you take in. The best thing to do is eat several small meals throughout the day, this keeps your metabolism up.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, and actually a day of fasting is good for your body. Course, if you skip a meal and then binge eat - you'll gain weight.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Doesn't make me gain weight. Ever since my rough 2nd pregnancy, I can only eat 1 meal a day or I get so sick to my stomach. I guess throwing up 30 times a day everyday for 6 months would mess someones stomach up. I do not snack either, just one simple meal a day.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes, it will slow your matabolism bc it has to start working again. instead of snaking all day wich keep it going and going
    KENZIKISSES13

Answer by KENZIKISSES13 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes, it slows your metabolism and messes with your blood sugar. You should be eating 6 smalls meals a day.

PoisionusBlonde: your issue is no longer physical but mental. Your body is afraid to eat more than once a day and you need to get help for that, you are depriving your body of needed nutrients and vitamins.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Depends on your body, but it can slow your metabolism.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010