Is my 20 month old behind?

My daughter is 20 months old. She knows her body parts, she can say a cluster of words and phrases, and she is still learning! But I keep on reading or seeing people talk about how their kids are writing their names and saying abc's already potty trained..or almost there..and it makes me feel like im not doing enough to make sure she learns...is she behind whats "normal"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's normal! Seriously? Writing their name at 20 months?! Give me a break!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• bump!
    GrippyBits2

Answer by GrippyBits2 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My toddler is also 20 months and she's pretty much in the same place as yours. Some kids are potty trained this early but not many. Anything beyond that sounds like exageration to me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Everychild movers at there own pace and when shes ready to say her abc's she well start it took my daughter a little longer to start talking but now I cant get her to stop lol so enjoy it and as far as writing their names I dont no any 20 month that can do that..
    QueenMae23

Answer by QueenMae23 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think a lot of moms no this site tend to exaggeratewhat their kids can say or really do. My daughter is the same age and she doesn't know her body parts lol I mean sometimes she gets it right but mainly she confuses her eyes with nose still. She isn't potty trained, she speaks in a weird language haha and she does say words. As far as I am concerned and her pediatrician she is as normal as can be. Remember you can't compare your child to other children because everyone one learns at a different pace.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think your daughter is right on track. This is the time when she is taking everything in and learning what everything is. She doesnt have the "skill" yet to write her name or anything like that....just holding a crayon at her age and doodling circles is a great thing. Dont worry...she is doing great =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Writing their names at 20 months... I smell a mom who needs to relax. Your daughter sounds right on track. Enjoy, she will grow up fast enough on her own.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my son is 20 months and seems to be right at where your daughter is. and no he doesnt write his name yet, he'd rather eat the crayon! lol
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She's totally normal! My son is 3 and he knows all his letters but we're still working on writing them. He wasn't fully potty trained in the daytime until right before he turned 3 and he's still not night trained.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 3:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010