I'm not sure if my 4 yr old is behind, What all can your 4 yr old do?

The reason that I dont really know is because my 2 older children were reading, writing and doing simple addition at 4. They are now in advanced classes in elementary school. My 4 year old (will be 5 in 2months and 2 weeks) barely recognizes his letters and numbers. And cannot tell you what most of them sound like. And he doesnt comprehend very well.I find myself reapeating everything I say numerous times for him. He doesnt even write his name very well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe a little by your other kids' standards

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My DD is 4 and will be 5 in February. She knows some of her simple sight/imagary words, the alphabet, rhyming, counting to 30. It wasn't easy, I put her in pre-k, that helped a ton, but I also took 3x5 cards and labeled everything in my house (wall, door, window, etc) so my DD could learn what the words looked like. GL mama! They all learn at different levels.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 1:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• all kids develop differently. Just keeping working with them. My 3 1/2 year old knows her numbers, letters, is starting to write her name, can count to 29 w/out help (for 30 she says twenty ten), knows her colors,and is starting to learn rhyming words.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010