I have an Amonia Prob in my marine tank.

Before I put our fish in the new tank I cycled it for a week. I treated the water and then brought the fish home. I have 4 high finned plattys and had 2 mystery snails.
The problem is that I keep having these spikes in the amonia levels. I test and everything else is perfect. So I treat the water with an emergency tablet and then I do a partial water change-
I can't figure out what is wrong. I am so worried about these fish and one of the snails died. I don't over feed them, I vacume the substrate to remove the "crap" from the tank. I even bought a bigger filter.

have any of you had a random amonia problem? any ideas of how to fix this?

colorsofgrey

Asked by colorsofgrey at 1:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Maybe someone is peeing into it,I'm not kidding
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• lol. well yes the fish are peeing in it, and I guess the snail is too-
    I just don't understand how one day everything is cool in the tank, and then all of asudden the amonia level is dangerous the next.
    colorsofgrey

Comment by colorsofgrey (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Could a decoration or the gravel in your tank be releasing ammonia?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I use a marine safe declorinator for my water. and when I bought the gravel I rinsed it several times b/c I was going to buy snails. I guess I will have to make a trip out to my pet store and get my water tested. It's free and although I test at home maybe the strips are old or something. I also worry that I'm getting false readings.
    all I need is these fish to die- It would break my DS's little heart. He snuck in when I scooped out the dead snail and he cried for over 15 minutes
    colorsofgrey

Comment by colorsofgrey (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• An ammonia problem could be caused by lots of things.

Decorations can be one thing. Do you have live plants in there at all...live plants can help to filter off ammonia. Plastic ones can actually give off ammonia. When you put the fish in teh tank did you dump the fish water from the store into your tank? Fish stores especially ones that are pet stores don't really know what they are doing when it comes to fish. They might have higher levels of ammonia in them then in a home tank...most fish places store several different species of fish together and they all have different needs.

You might be able to find something if you google your question too.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 5:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• A marine tank is a saltwater tank. Platties are tropical fish, that could explain your ammonia problem right there. It took me a while to process this...

Do you have a marine tank or a freshwater (tropical) one? A marine one is with saltwater and fish like blue tangs, gobies and other similar species. A freshwater tank is a tank that has platy's, neon's, barbs and so on.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have done soo much research. I am at my wits end. And when I bought my Plattys the fish attendant told me that they were saltwater fish. I panicked and she showed me the salt to use. Omg. What if I have been hurting the fish w/ the salt and they don't even need it. Going to goodle now-
    colorsofgrey

Comment by colorsofgrey (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• okay, they ar salt water fish- I nearly had a heart attack...
    I just don't know where I am going wrong. This isn't my first tank, lol. I had a betta live for over 4 years. This is my first salt water tank but before I got the fish I cycled the tank for over a week, I bought "safe" plants (well according to the sales associate), and I know better than to dump the nasty pet store water into the tank. I even gave mine a fresh water dip to remove any unseen pests. The tank isn't overcrowded. I have 4 fish in a 20 gallon tank. I only added the four at first b/c I didn't want to cock the system. I had planned to add atleast 2 more fish this past week but with these spikes I am going to wait. I feel helpless!
    colorsofgrey

Comment by colorsofgrey (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010