Do you ever feel selfish for having kids?

The world is in a horrible state.....there are no jobs, people are losing their homes, the earth is dying, war...ect....and here we are popping out kids that are going to have to deal with this and perhaps worse when they're our age. I'm terrified for my daughter's future and sometimes I think...man, I am so selfish.
Does anyone else feel like this or worry about it????

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. There has never been a time in the history of man when there weren't hardships in life and problems happening in the world in general. We are actually living in the most non-violent time in the last century.. Hard to believe but true. There have always been people who have struggled and suffered financially. There have always been people and places affected by war, enviromental issues/natural disasters, poverty.etc. These are all a part of life and the world we live in. Are they pleasant, nope. Do I think the world would be a better place without these things, yes. But as long as there are human being roaming this earth and nature is it's own force to be reckoned with, those things will exist.

When I was growing up in the 60's & 70's. People felt the same way you are right now. Then it was: war, nuclear holocaust, hippies ruining the country (lol) gas shortages, high unemployment, recessions, acid rain etc lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no,the way I see it,i haven't added to it because we have 1. We haven't even replaced ourselves!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No..I don't. I'm a great mother and my kids have everything they need.. & they know they are loved. As long as they know that..it's all good.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Just because it seems like everythings going down doesnt mean to stop living... Enjoy life while you can!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Nope. I don't feel selfish. Maybe one of my kids will fix this mess..you never know :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't feel like that at all! I mean I get what you're saying, things are happening and everyone's future is in question in peoples mind for today, this moment I am doing everything I can to make sure my kids have what they need and hopefully we are giving them the tools as they get older to be able to do for themselves when we are no longer around.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, I see all the good in the world as well as the bad. This moment in time is no worse than others in history. When I think things are bad know, I think darks ages, world wars, american slavery, I guess it's not really that bad now
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No I don't, I don't really try to dwell on what could be for their future rather I try to help them define a future that will be good for them and make them happy. Focusing on their strengths and interests, making sure I talk about the things going on around us today and the impacts those could have. I think children have a lot of ability to change the world (better or worse) and its up to us to guide them to be part of a successful society.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I felt this way in the begining we have 2 girls its enough after awhile I stopped thinkin this way and try to enjoy life before it passes me by....Beauty is around us look for it!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No I do not feel selfish at all. History always repeats itself. People have gone through these problems for centuries. That is why it is up to every parent to guide their children in life to make the right choices for their future. My DS will be going to college and into a career and be prepared to work hard and make a good life for him & his family. That is all we can do as parents but many do not.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010