Okay, I mad!! Are they screwing me over?

So I've been working for a photographer since 2007 on and off, i keep getting laid off everytime it gets slow. One year got pregnant and didnt even collect, so i should have a week of vaca. and 2 sick days. I called today to check how many i have and they cut me down to 3 days and 2 sick days. I've never told them this but, I told them today they i feel screwed, every year i have to wonder if i'm gonna have a job. I have two kids to take care of this is crazy. I get worked my ass off when their busy and then when they get slow they lay me off. They dont need me anymore so kick me to the curb right. Thats nice I'm so fed up. I'm looking for something new, Can't take this anymore.

phoenixjuelz

Asked by phoenixjuelz at 2:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would have looked for work when they did that too, grr.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't blame you. You need the stability of a dependable job! Good luck!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• In California, accrued vacation is treated as wages and must be paid out when an employee gives notice or is fired. Check your state's employment laws. It could be they cannot do that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sounds to me like the whole situation is kind of messed up. I would bet they dropped your benefits down to a Part time employee basis rather than a full time. If I were in your situation, I would talk to them, and let them know, that I could no longer depend on them, that since I was always layed off when things got slow and must be considered "part time" now by what my benefits were showing, that I would be looking for something else.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ANY job that has slow seasons lays people off, this isn't new to anyone. My husband has seasonal layoffs, because his job gets slow enough where they don't need all of their employees. They aren't doing it to intentionally hurt you or screw you over, but they don't need you in a slow season. Any job would do that to save money and to keep you from doing nothing while at work. They're not going to pay you to sit around. If they cut your sick days/Vacation days then ask them why they did this. It could be because of money cut backs, it could be they changed the policy. Talk to them about this like an adult instead of getting all up in arms about something you're merely assuming.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You should be collecting when they lay you off. Don't get the idea that you are doing them any favors by not collecting. They have to pay into unemployement, so when they lay you off, COLLECT!!!!! I don't know why people don't. Times are tough and they are even worse when you are out of a job with no income or down to one income. My DH calls it welfare when I get laid off, but its not. Granted, there are people that will milk the system, but it sounds like you are an honest, hard-working mom. So, next time you get laid off, collect till they call you back or search for a new job in the meantime, but don't get yourself into a rutt because work is slow, the money is there, take it.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Thank You, but to JazzlikeMraz, I did speak to them like an adult and this is why I'm posting this question to vent and calm down and not blow the situation out of portion, And also to get some advice in this issue. I think I've dealt with it pretty well.
    phoenixjuelz

Comment by phoenixjuelz (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm sorry, that sucks. Scheduled layoffs are one thing, but it sounds like you just never know. I hope you find a new job that's more reliable.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You should collect unemployment when you get laid off. I dont even get any sick or vacation time nor any benefits. You might want to start putting some feelers out there for something new.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is definitely time to get your job search in high gear!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010