Is a raise waranted?

I am working as a medical biller for a high profile cardiologist. I bring her in a six digit figure every month. Since I have been working here she has made more money than the previous biller brought in for her. It is a high tech software with extensive training and they now want to implement another aspect where I would have to do three 45 min trainings for reimbursement management to learn this new aspect. It would mean more work for me. When I was hired I wanted 18.00 an hour and she said 17.00 then 18.00 in 3 mos. So now I make 18.00 but I feel as if I should get more. Its not like she cant afford it. So should I ask for a raise since this is something new and more work plus more training. How much more?

Esmrlda

Asked by Esmrlda at 2:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• You've been there less than a year so, no, I would not ask for a raise. Scuba is right, added work doesn't equal a pay raise. My dad was promoted to vice president of a company he's worked at since I was in HS and it didn't come with a pay raise.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How long have you been there? IMO (I was in management for 20 years), adding something additional like that doesn't necessarily warrant an immediate pay increase but would be taken under consideration at the next review time. Once a year is pretty standard for pay increases.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have been here for 8 months.
    Esmrlda

Comment by Esmrlda (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• NikkiVan, Really??? Become a cardiologist??? Really???? I am basing my value on my self worth and merit for the top notch job I have done for this company. I want to work for an employer who apprectiates their employees and rewards them accordingly. I dont even get sick time or paid time off or any other insurance benefits. Billers make 19-25 an hour in my area. At the time I was on unemployment and beat out 120 other's for the job. Guess I will start looking for a company that appreciates their employees.
    Esmrlda

Comment by Esmrlda (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It all depends on what the market will pay for your services. If she can get it done for 17 and not 18, then thats the way it is. If you want more, which typically is under an annual review or cost of living increase, then you have to address it then. But it is wrong for you to base your value and pay rate regardless of what she makes. Don't like it then become a Cardiologist and hire a biller at 18!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010