does anybody else think it's BS that i was expected to work today after my grandma passed away yesterday?

this has been the longest day of my life and i'm just so upset that my work actually expected me to be here today. it's been really tough to put up a front and do my job but i guess i was successful, mean while just feeling like crap on the inside.

has anybody else had to go to work immediately after losing a loved one?

pmg1030

Asked by pmg1030 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• My work give me three days paid bereavement leave.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well thats not right but some companies just do not care! The only time I lost a loved one I worked for a hospice company so they were very understanding!!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I thought all empoyers offer a 3 day grieving period after a loved one passes away.
    I would have called off.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Most work places don't see your grandmother as a priority. The will only allow more time off for intimidate family. Such as a spouse, children, sibling, parent. Grandparents, aunts, uncle, cousins, friends work places don't see that as a big deal. My grandmother raised me but if I'm working when she dies I wont be able to get much time off either.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think we have to do what we have to do.I have had to work thru many hard days and it sux! I went to court for my divorce and went straight back to work..it was a very tough day! My dd is getting a spacer in her mouth today and I cant be there because I am at work. (way less minor than a death I know!) but yes I hate being stuck atwork when I have emotional things going on in my life. i think it will make you stronger though!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• oh sorry, yes, i am getting 3 days of paid leave starting tomorrow because i have to travel all the way to NE from TN but my flight was not until tomorrow because that was the earliest i could leave and they still expected me to be here today since i hadn't left yet. i would have taken it unpaid but it didn't seem like that was an option for me. my boss acted like he thought i should work today. this just sucks...at least it's almost over
    pmg1030

Comment by pmg1030 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I get several paid days for bereavement leave. My BF mother died and I got time off for that. If not, you could of called in sick. Some comapanies are like that but maybe you should of talked to your manager and got an exception providing you have a good working relationship. If not, it's unfortunate and sorry for you loss. With these economic times, companies are squeezing every working dollar.
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• can't you request to take a vacation day today until the bereavement starts? Just ask you may be surprised by the result
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 2:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• This is why I want to work for a company that charishes their employes and gives them TPO when they need it. It seems many employers can get away with treating their employees like sh*t more and more these days. I guess with the recession alot of us are lucky to have a job but I still dont agree with it. I think if you are upset then you should of taken the day off with no pressure.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes, that is BS. And yes, I had to work immediately after the death of two of my grandparents because I was a temp at the time and didn't get any bereavement time. It actaully made it easier because it kept my mind off of things. When my third grandparent died, I was a permenant employee and got three days off. It was miserable. I was pregnant and my husband had to work so I was alone that whole time with my thoughts.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010