Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandparent rights?-Help please

So today, my mother in law came by, which she is not welcome here. She's still married and lives w/ boyfriend who held a gun to her head. She makes bad decisions, which is why shes not welcome. Don't want that influence around our daughter. So since my daughter was born, she only comes around about once every 2 or 3 months and only for about 20 minutes and ussually starts some arguement with my hubby. We've never kept her away until the gun incodent, but today she came and got in to it again with hubby and she got to leave and said she would see us in court. What chance does she really have? We have a lot of people who support us on her not doing this, but Im bothered by it and I don't want my family to have to go through this and I don't want my daughter forced to see someone she doesnt even really know. HELP!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • It depends on what state you live in. Some states do have a law called Grandparents Rights that entitles them to visitation, just like a parent. However, I'm sure that if you can make a strong case as to why you don't want grandma in your daughter's life, the judge will listen.

    Answer by Brandie_xo at 10:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • If it is only that often, for that little amount of time, don't you think that you could do it for your daughter. My paternal grandmother was not in my life much due to a few reasons, and when I was old enough to understand why, I was upset with my parents for making that decision to not have her in my life. I would seriously reconsider your decision to not have her around your daughter. I understand that there are things in her life that you don't like, but if her boyfriend isn't coming with her, then you don't have as many problems.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • I had a very similar issue when my daughter was first born. I live in Missouri, so it may be different where you live. I called a lawyer & asked his advice & he laughed and said "you are her mother, that's that! What you say goes!"

    Answer by LisaKelz at 11:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • If you have people who are aware of her erratic behavior who are willing to testify to that if she brings you to court, then she has very little chance at all.

    If she brings you to court (which I doubt anyway) and you want to look magnanamous, you can always offer her once a month at a supervised visitation center at her expense. If she declines, then the judge will see that it's not that she's interested in maintaining a relationship with your child, but rather to insert herself into her son's life.

    Answer by Avarah at 11:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • For annonymous: My daughter doesnt even know this woman as her grandmother and when she is here, she causes some sort of arguement and makes my daughter feel uncomfortable, so NO I dont think I could do that. I have never told her that she wasnt welcome, until recently when Hubby did, due to her life style. Supervised or not, Im not changing my daughters life style for a woman she doesnt even know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • I know in my state, Georgia, grandparents have absolutely no rights at all. LOL! If that were my MIL I would get a restraining order.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • In response to your last reply: Good!!! Your the parents and if she makes her feel that uncomforbale and if all there is is arguing then your daughter doesn't need to be around it. With the little bit you said bout her desisions i don't think she could get grand parent visitaion. Before you go to court right down the day she has come over and how it made your daughter feel. and defently put down the fact that the boyfriend put a gun to the grandmas head. Wether he comes or not that puts her at risk if the grandma take her to her house. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

    Answer by EJsHottMama at 11:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.