ANTS!! I need to get rid of them...can I set off a bug bomb? If not...what works?

Anything tried and true to get rid of the damn, pesky buggers?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• kosher salt or coffee grounds lemon juice
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 2:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The ONLY tried and true way is to find their nest and get rid of it... Ants can live without oxygen for up to 2 days, so bug bombs just don't work with them... I've had issues with them for years and years now... We have had to cut down trees, tear up the yard and replace entire walls... Exterminator after Exterminator and nothing has worked... Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Depends on what kind of ants you have. We've had small ants (that went after food). We were able to spray inside where they were coming in and that did the trick. We recently had carpenter ants (big ones that have no interest in food) and that required an exterminator to come and spray the outside of the foundation. There probably isn't a "one size fits all" solution.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have used cayenne pepper where I see them coming in and it has stopped them. I just put a line of it in front of the door/window. They don't like to cross it.
    jenn1172

Answer by jenn1172 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have an exterminator spray at the beginning of each season just to be sure... they make me cringe...
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i used a vinegar and bleach spray! out side and inside spray it every where! just get and empty bottle and half with bleach and half with vinegar! it smells bad but it works! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We are about to use Caroline's answer today.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you know where they are coming in, say through the space under your door. Simply take your kids sidewalk chalk and color the threshold, ants will not cross chalk... I found it worked...even better than cayenne pepper. I haven't had any in the house this year!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We have I think Carpenter ants coming in though the doors (our landlord was told to replace the weather stripping but hasn't) and they've been biting me and my son, and I plan on using Solumel to fix our problem. Spray it on the doors and windows where the ants are coming in and they should stop. It's got over 100 uses including bug repellant, room deodorizer, carpet cleaner and many many others.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 2:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• we found this stuff you spread around the house, you can buy it at a garden store, it last for six months. plus spraying the area with white vinger helps too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010