My 2 and 1/2 y/o still not sleeping through the night..

My son is 2 and 1/2 y/o and still won't sleep through the night, he does some nights but others he wakes up and comes into mommy and daddy's room and either says wake up mommy or wants mommy or daddy, I always tend to him and give him a drink and put him back to bed what else am I doing wrong or what can do to help him start sleeping through the night..

mblucky

Asked by mblucky at 2:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are 3 & 4 years... They have never slept through the night... When they are ready they will...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I feel your pain, I have one child that is 41/2 that slept through the night at 3 months and now my 2 year old has never slept more than three hours at a time. I have tried everything from letting her cry to taking her to an all natural dr. My child does the same thing I have to give her a drink of water and rock a little while and she will go back to sleep. I don't know what else to do also. I think now it is habit and routine, but I don't know how to stop it either. Good luck.
    Trinitysmom1205

Answer by Trinitysmom1205 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sticker chart -- if she sleeps in her room for a night add a sticker -- after so many stickers reward her with something he likes. Before you know it he'll just be doing it by himself.
    MEandBabyGirl13

Answer by MEandBabyGirl13 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I hope he's easy to get back down at least. I don't have any advice other than to wait it out. My first woke up at least once per night, pretty much every night until after he was 3.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 5:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• What I had to do with my son was make sure he wasnt sick...and now has to go potty and if he doesnt I just lay him back down. No drinks of watr no snuggle time. If he wants to stay awake in his room fine, but dont come out unless something is wrog or you have to go potty. he eventually figured out its boring staying awake in his room, and mommy wasnt going to accept him getting up in he middle f te night for no reason. Yur son is old enough to comfort himself to s;eep...unless your potty training him id make him stay in bed..give a drink of water and kisses before bed.
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 12:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 3yr old sleeps through the night most nights but when he was still waking up in the night I would just go in and comfort him if he was crying and let him have a drink of water. Eventually the consistency worked and now usually the only time he wakes up is if he falls out of bed, lol.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 3:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've never had sleeping through the night issues but i did have allot of trouble with going to bed. We put a gate in his doorway. That way you can keep the door open and he doesn't feel trapped or alone. Then I did a sticker chart. Every Time he went to bed nicely (he was allowed to read quietly on his bed until he fell asleep) he received a sticker on the chart and one he could wear. Once he received 10 stickers we either bought a book of a favorite character (he LOVES books) or a puzzle or some toy at the dollar store of his choice.

coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010