Baby doesn't seem full after breastfeeding

He is a month old and we have had a great nursing relationship so far. However, today during a feeding he drained both breasts just 3 hours after a feeding, (he usually eats every 4, 5, or 6 hours), and he doesn't seem satisfied. He's rooting around and crying. I don't want to give him formula but I don't want to starve him! What's going on? I'm scared. Thanks.

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 10:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't be scared. Mine is 6 weeks old today and I had the same worries. If the doctor has given you a clean bill of health then he is fine. As long as he is pooping and peeing. My baby girl is 6 weeks and has gone through periods of eating every hour and a half. what I would suggest doing that has helped mine even sleep a little longer thru the night is pump an hour or two after feeding, that way you know how much he is getting. They also have periods of growth spurts and they will eat a LOT more during this time. Don't let anyone try to talk you into formula either. That is lazy to me. If he is healthy then keep up the good breastfeeding bond you guys have. I have found that it is very special and my little girl and I have a very deep bond because of it. Good Luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Put him on the breast again... it's probably a growth spurt and he wants to eat again. Mine sometimes wants to eat every hour! It's normal for a breastfed baby to eat every 2-3 hours.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• growth spurt! growth spurt! growth spurt! i know this is the time that puts many moms in doubt, but trust me, IT'S OK! i remember the days when you feel like you nurse all day long. it's totally normal. as long as baby is making enough wet/dirty diapers & gaining well according to breastfed baby charts (go to kellymom.com for those), you have nothing to worry about. nature made the female body to carry & nurture it's child. a woman not making enough milk NATURALLY is veeeeery rare. you're doing great! message me if you need any help at all =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Nurse that baby MOST babies nurse every 2 hours for MONTHS, breastmilk is digested much faster than formula because its easier to digest so don't time your baby, nurse nurse nurse. Read on kellymom.com about growth spurts, join a breastfeeding grup on cafemom they are great sources of info! NO FORMULA it will hinder supply not to mention ruin the flora in your babies digestive tract!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Don't be scared some babies just need more. if you don't want to use formula mix some breast milk with a little rice cereal and feed him that, it will help. I did this with my first son on the reccomdation of his doctor and it helped a lot.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm telling you when my son was born he ate almost constantly for the first 2 months and my mother says I nursed nearly every 20 minutes when I was 3 months old. Remember sometimes it's not just about food and nutrition, it's about comfort!
    sixzilliondots

Answer by sixzilliondots at 9:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008