Are there certain jobs that only allow you to be stationed at certain Army bases?

For example, I would love to live in Italy or Germany while in the Army, but do only certain jobs get stationed there? Is there certain bases that only infantry, etc., get stationed at only? What is the best way to get a duty station you want? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• i am an army vet married to an army man living in germany. Your mos decides where you go and your rank. ie if your signal corp, you will go tos signal unit and if your a SFC they will send you where a SFC is needed in the signal corp. you can request duty stations but that doesnt mean you will get them , they try to give you what you want sometimes but its not always possible. some jobs like mechanic can go to any unit because all units use them etc. also civilians can be DOD civilians and go to bases and work their. when you first enlist you can request duty station of choice, get it in your contract, with that you cant pick specific bases but you can pick the country or state. for me i picked germany when i first signed up. i had a choice of germany, korea, kansas or washington
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It all depends on the MOS.
    Infantry can be stationed at most bases. The very rare technical jobs are limited to where they are stationed.
    Talk to a career counselor/recruiter to find out which ones.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you are an officer you ought to try the Medical Corp.
    If you are enlisted that I have no Idea.
    Chances are if you are enlisted you have no choice in doing what you are doing and being stationed where you are stationed.
    They just dont care even if you like it or not.
    Some times it is just best to ask you CO. If they dont want to help than Mam I am sorry.
    What I want to know is did you go to an academy?
    Like West Point or Anapalus?
    Or are you just and enlisted personnel? Or part of the National Guard or Reserves for your state?
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• For Italy, I believe you have to be airborne, for Germany, there are several infantry units there but there are also several support jobs as well. When my husband joined the army, he requested Germany and had it put in his contract. However, just so you know, they have put a cap on how long you can be in Germany. I think you can stay up to 6 years and after that you have to go to a base in CONUS.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• In the Navy, typically if you take a really bad duty station, you get first pick the next time around. For instance, my uncle chose to be stationed at Guantanamo Bay for 18 months and then he got to go where he wanted afterward. I don't know if other branches of the military are the same.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010