I have a 4 year old girl who needs to burn some energy in a new and creative way - any ideas?

The normal trip to the park, dog park, and riding her bike isn't working. She also comes with us 'window shopping' both indoor and outdoor in which case she is bored with that too. We try to go for 'free' things to do.

MEandBabyGirl13

Asked by MEandBabyGirl13 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Swimming? Playdates? Try some new parks, hiking?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is really tough to keep up with a 4 yr old girl who never seems to run out of energy. I have one of those too!!!
    She loves to climb and jump on stuff...and loves to run around...I'm trying to think of some free things...I think pp has a good idea with swimming...or...you can look into enrolling her in a gymnastics class..I know it's not free..but it might help! OR you could do aerobics w/ a tape in front of your tv and she can do it with you... :) I am going to start Zumba I think, and my daughter loves to dance so we're going to do it together, lol :)
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Out local YMCA has lots of kids sports programs, our kids love soccer, so they play twice a year and it is a great outlet for energy, lots of times, they Y offers the programs for less than 20, so it's not too bad. Sometimes when my kids are bored I will take some of their toys and crate obstacle courses for them, they always wear themselves out with them.
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I also agree with swimming. i remember being a kid after coming from the beach or pool I would be exhausted.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 4:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• swimming would do the trick. learning how to ride a bike, have her help with baking, or cooking, have arts and craft days. maybe take naps away lol if she still has a nap. go for walks that usually does my daughter in lol she's 3 though. humm I'm in the same boat that your in. I know museums and zoo have certain days that are free. good luck.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 5:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I go hiking with my 4 yo and 2 yo all the time. Also, sometimes when I'm outside we do obstacle courses like this... hop like a frog to the tree, skip to the car, run to the fence and walk on tip toes back to me then spin in 3 circles. We change it up. My kids love this game. Have you taught her hop-scotch? It's a great way to learn numbers too. You could make play-dough... even edible play-dough if you're worried about her eating it. My kids love using the cookie cutters. I make big batches of sugar cookie dough and let the kids go to town with the cookie cutters and then icing and chocolate chips after they've baked. The key is to keep them busy. If mine get bored they suddenly have tons of energy but if I keep them busy, even if it's not running, they are calm.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 8:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• drawing, coloring, painting, scavengar hunts, bike rides, nature walks
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2010