Not engaging baby...

My friend has a baby that is about 3 weeks older than dd, her baby girl is 8mos. I hadn't seen her baby in awhile and stopped by the other day. I was competely amazed at the differences in our babies. I was thinking Wow dd is really really far ahead developmentaly of her. Well we were talking and she informed me that when she picks the baby up from daycare she falls asleep in the carseat. So when they bring her in htey just leave her in the car seat until she wakes up. And if she wakes up and isn't fussy they let her sit in there all night playing tehn put her to bed! I was like no wonder your baby can't do anything you leave her in the stupid car seat all the time! The back of her head is still bald from all the time she spends laying down in that thing. I didn't really say anything because I wasn't sure what to say... I talked about how I play with dd and put her on the floor and stuff. But should I say something to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow..that is sad. She isn't developing her muscles or her mind. Saying something would probably backfire. But, poor baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is SOOOOOO bad! You should do something, if you can, for the baby's sake. You should find an article about how its not good to leave a baby in a carseat too much throughout the day. You will probably find one, because when my son was little, I know I read about it or saw it on the news. Maybe go over and start engaging the child yourself, like: "why don't we put the babies on their tummies and see if they interact," or something like that.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If this person is your friend you should say soemthing to her. Maybe make a playdate where you both interact with your babies.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is so sad!! I think you should say something for the baby sake..... I know a girl who used to leave her baby girl in her bouncer all day everyday.. the only time the baby girl came out of the bouncer is when I came over cause I wanted to play with her... She is now 16 months... and acts like she is 11 months...
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 3:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow at 8 months that baby girl needs lots of different types of stimulation! To grow and develop normally and to the best of her ability!

I would feel incredibly guilty for doing that to my baby!

I agree with JGRIMMER....sort of "teach" her by showing her and talking about what you hope things do for your dd....like..."oh my dd loves laying on her belly...I know her neck muscles are getting stronger! She loves to scoot up on her knees...maybe it will help her crawl! "

Maybe without hurting her feelings, she can catch a clue!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• container syndrome is a big problem.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes. My brother in laws sister did that with her baby and she had SERIOUS developmental problems. Not to mention her neck strength was NOTHING. She couldn't hold her head up good at 6 months! Because her parents always left her in her bouncer. Just feed her when she cried, never interacted. That is not good at all. Not trying to freak you out, better safe than sorry. The worse she would do is get upset with you... but it would be in her head... and it's safety for the baby.

You would probably be upset if someone told you how to parent... but if she doesn't know it's wrong, it wont stop. That needs to stop!
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 10:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• PS: at 8 months the baby should be awake, alert and trying to get out of the seat. Trying to roll over. If the babies just sitting there and letting it happen she is developmentally behind for sure. :(
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 10:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010