Is this wierd or am I nuts?

I'm going to try and make this as short as I can. I offered my so called Best Friend to babysit for her this summer. I started in May and my last day is on Friday. her husband drops off all the time and picks up. So I never see her, nor have I talked to her since I started. The only way she will communicate w/ me is via text. She cant ever pick up the phone, she has never asked how things are, if its hard w/ my kids schedules, etc... I'm bothered by this and don't know if I really should be or not. She is a friend that will lose contact w/ me for months at a time then contact me saying how she is an awful friend, this happens all the time. I tried to call her months ago and left a msg for her to call me back that I wanted to talk to her about something, she never called back, so I had to email her because I was wanting to tell her when my last day would be, and wanted to give plenty of notice. Am I wrong about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• No, she should be more grateful, IMO. I wouldn't be babysitting for her again!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 3:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No you're not wrong. I have been upset at people before for not keeping in contact with me, and I felt silly at the time, but you are simply expecting the type of friendship to be more active than it is. If you will just tell her, or her husband that you'd like to sit down and talk sometime, maybe she will get the hint. It's tough because obviously she gets that she is " an awful friend " and tries to apologize but has other things that she is more into, or interested in. Maybe she is just not the type of friend you need.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I can relate to your friend, although if you were taking care of my kid it would be different. I HATE talking on the phone. I avoid it, and have lost quite a few friends because I do not answer the phone. It's like a phobia, literally. Try texting instead, or emailing instead.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You sound like me.. But what it is some people rather be doing their own thing and sometimes don't realize how busy they are so don't take it personal you are just you and she is just her (I am like you) anyway just do what you have to do to communicate with her and make sure you get some sort of response and bring it up again later just to help remind her that she did give you a response bc some pol do forget. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't care for talking on the phone either, but I guess that I feel she should respect me enough as I watch her child to pick up the phone. Especially when I say, that I needed to talk to you about something. As I stated my last day is Friday and no I will not watch her again, and I think at that point I will no longer make try to make any contact w/ her. I just wasn't sure if I was wrong for feeling the way I do or not. sorry I posted as anon.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She is who she is and you have known who she is for some time. You have two choices.... accept who she is and the little effort she makes. Or simply discontinue the friendship. But it really seems a waste of energy to get up set at her acting like she does when you know that is who she is.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would definitely be offended if I was in your shoes. I can understand not liking to talk on the phone, but a good friend will pick up the phone at least once in a while.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would just finish watching her kids and not worry about her calling you back. If she still wants to have a friendship with you she needs to step up and do her half of the friendship cuz it does take 2. You cant do 100%. This has happened to me and all of my friends.
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You are definatly right for feeling the way you do, what kind of a friend is that, for me i woulnt call her a friend at all. she should have been the one calling you and asking how u are coping with the kids, since you offered to babysit her child! i suggest you dont even bother calling her again.. coz she does not deserve your friendship. i agree one can be busy sometimes. nut as you said, she contacts u through texting.. well she could use that time to call instead of texting, even if its a minute or two.
    ashley387

Answer by ashley387 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree w/ you ashley 100%! This is the exact way that I feel!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010