How would you handle this situation?

I have a two year old son and I live in an upstairs apartment. We have neighbors below us so I do my best not to let my son stomp around to much and only vacuum during the afternoon. But today our neighbor came upstairs and told us it sounded like WWF or something. She was pretty pissed and I actually really don't blame her. But what am I supposed to do about it? My son stomps just becuase he walks around and plays with toys and it is his home to! I really don't want to piss the neighbor off because she is our on site manager.

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 3:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh no, the neighbor as on site manager! I had that once and it was a nightmare. But we were young college kids so much less sympathetic than a cute 2 yr old. I would apologize and let her know that you do your best to be considerate and to keep the noise down, especially early in the morning and late at night, but there is only so much you can do about your son. Maybe a joke like "Believe me it will be louder if I take his tonka truck away and don't let him play like a boy needs to play sometimes too", etc. Let her know that if the noise is particularly bothersome on a given day she can let you know and you will try to dial it back. Unfortunately for her I feel that is part of the problem of being on a lower level but it would pay to try to kill her with kindness since she could make your life miserable. It might be good to keep a little log of your encounters too just in case it gets ugly. Your son shouldn't have to tip toe.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm always surprised when people that live in apartments, especially lower level apartments, complain about noise. It seems like if you wanted quiet, you wouldn't live with 6 other families attached to your walls.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Find a lower apartment

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't have the money to pay the deposit again. Why can't she be the one to move?
    luvsmysonjames

Comment by luvsmysonjames (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i had the same problem! the lady who lives below me is like probably 75 years old and everytime i would see her outside she would complain about something. im like listen lady, i have to live too. i have a 14 month old son and i dont understand what you want from me. i tried to quiet down at night and thats the best i can do. im not going to tip toe all day and never do anything in my house. if it bothers her that much, she should have gotten an upstairs apt. but luckily she hasnt complained in about 2 months.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• our neighbors probably hate us too. we try to tell her not to jump or stomp but it's her house and she is going to play. we have carpet so that helps some, but i'm sure it gets loud.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you cna't go out and get a new apartment, I would ask what she suggests you do. Is it carpeted? Maybe add more rugs. Sorry, I never lives in an apt. so I don't have a clue.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Can you talk to the Management and let them know she talked to you but dont have the money for a deposit and see what can be worked out? if anything? let them know you don't want complaints or to get kciked out but he's a 2 year old boy.. what else do you do??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would just tell her that you have a two year old son and he just walks like that and he doesn't do it on purpose... It's really not that big of a deal its not like she can kick you out or anything just because of the way he walks.
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well... you might invite her to walk around up stairs while her hubby stays down stairs and listens... then have them trade places. Then she might see that the building is insulated poorly and it isnt your 2 yr old so much as it is the lack of insulation.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010