hitting and pinching

my son (who will be 2 in a few days) has gotten really bad for hitting and pinching. At first it was just when he was tired or hungry. But now it is over almost nothing. He will go up to his cousins (who we live with) and slap, punch, kick and pinch them for no reason. I have tried time outs, I have made him apologizes I have explained that he is hurting his friends. Now when he does it he says that he knew he was hurting the other kid and that's why he did it.
I need some advice on how to stop this. Everyone else I asked has said this is a stage and he will grow out of it, but I need something for right now because we have other kids in the house and it is not fair for them.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 3:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For the time being I am living with my parents right now and my sister also lives there with my niece. My niece is 34 months and my daughter is 20 months. My niece is exactly like your son, even though my daughterdoes defend herself as much as she can my niece is still stronger than her. We have also tried everything in the book, my niece even comes up to us and says she pushed her cousin or hit her on purpose. I think it's just because my niece is jealous at the moment since she is used to being the center of attention and not have anyone steal her shine. But I think like everyone has said they will grow out of it.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Just ideas..............Does he get enough one on one time with you and DH? And praise when he does things right? Plus plenty of hugs and kisses? Sometimes they will go for the negative attention when they are lacking in the positive. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I know this sounds really really cruel but maybe if you pinch your child lightly back (but not hurting him really bad) just so he understands how it feels, maybe that would stop him? My Mom did that to us as children and when we realised if really did hurt we stopped. We never really understood it until Mom said (and pinched) us that it really did hurt. I only have one child so it doesn't happen here. I hope this helps a little and again I am NOT saying hurt your child, just let him feel it really does hurt. Good luck
    thetaxicab

Answer by thetaxicab at 7:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have no idea, but if you find something that works please God let me know. My 17 month (as of today) son bites me...and only me...all the time. Sometimes it's because he's excited while we're playing and sometimes he's mad but it just doesn't stop. I've told him no, I've yelled really loud (saying no) to try to scare him, I've tried lightly biting him back (he laughed), someone told me to put a drop of vinegar on his tongue (he wanted more), my dad suggested i put hot sauce on his tongue (he wanted more).

Maybe you could try some of those...maybe you'll have better luck.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 3:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010