Have you ever heard of anyone getting worms from cats?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• My cat just got de-wormed for tape worm which totally freaked me out, I asked the vet and he said that the only way you can get tapeworm is by eating an infected flea.... I know ringworm, which is actually a skin condition, can be transmitted, but don't know about any other kind...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I haven't had a first hand experience...but it can happen.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes I am a vet tech! The only way you can get worms from your cat is cleaning their litter box and not washing your hands. Its Intestinal parasites.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 3:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes. i think it's more likely for kids to get them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes my step daughter got ring worm really bad once. It was all over her and her mom said it was from their cat... yuck
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can get them from cleaning their feces. Not often from vaccinated cats, unless they dind't take to the vaccine...it's mostly a feral cat thing
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes from touching there poo. Dogs or cars both the same. My aunt had some puppies and they were trained yet she had cleaned the poop up but didn't use anything but a paper towel to pick it up and water to wipe up the spot and I walked around the house barefoot a few days later i had worms.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes. You catch it through fecal (poop) matter. Always wash your hands after cleaning out the liter box.
    thetaxicab

Answer by thetaxicab at 8:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• while it is true that you can get worms from touching fecal matter, that is not the only time. if your cat has worms, the parts of the tapeworm can come out without the poop. it will look like a piece of rice and can be on blankets, etc. anywhere the cat has sat or laid. if that is ingested it will give you worms too. ringworm is contracted just by touching with skin (but that is not a worm, it's a fungal infection). they have otc dewormers.... i would get one for sure if you think your kitty has worms. if you or your child has woms then go to the dr. and get it taken care of
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010