Bottle Feeding Moms: Do you hold your baby while you feed them? adult content

I do and always try to hold my babies when they eat from their bottles. I will admit to propping a bottle form time to time when I am trying to cook or something (times when you need twelve hands and only have two) and sometimes at night... yes... it's evil and wrong but that's a topic for another debate, lol.

Anyhow, the main reason for asking this is my friend came into my job today and made the statement that she tries NOT to hold her baby when she is eating because she doesn't want her getting used to being held all the time and because she "doesn't have time for that shit."

Am I wrong or is that heartless? Do you always hold your babies?

*Now breastfeeders, I KNOW you do! lol*

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did both with my dd. i always held her when giving her a bottle, and so did anyone else who was feeding her. if you "dont have time for that shit" maybe you should have concidered that before you had a baby.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow...she should at least take time to nurture her child while feeding. Geeze...why have one if you are going to leave it alone most of the time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Will not get into what your friend said; that would be too long a rant and I should get back to work.

I formula feed and until recently (my son is 11 months now) would hold him every single time he needed a bottle. Now he prefers to hold it on his own and sometimes, I still have him in my arms while he holds it himself. It's not just about providing food for my son, it's about emotional nourishment too. I love snuggling him any chance I get.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Babies need to be nurtured. If she doesn't even hold him during his feedings, does she ever hold him? Only when he cries?? I don't understand why she has a child. If she doesn't want anything to do with him, she should have given him up for adoption, then a family could love him.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i almost always hold my son when i feed him unless something comes up an di have to cook at the same time. I think that is definately heartless, she probably never holds him if she wont even hold him when feeding him. geeze
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never propped a bottle with either of my children. I would never do it. Its bonding time...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OOps didnt answer the question. Yes I always hold her for her bottles.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She does sound Heartless I couldnt imagine saying that.

I always hold my son unless I need to cook then its my DH that holds and feeds him, we never prop the bottle up unless we "Need to" but he holds it most of the time now. its Bonding time for us!
    Owensmommy32010

Answer by Owensmommy32010 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes,everytime. i never propped. When he could hold it,i let him.
    My cousin is doing that propping up and not holding him thing. Sigh....poor lil guy is only 3 months and his mom is treating him like shit already....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well I have heard that also, I'm not sure, usually with your first you hold them all you can, then as more kids come it's hard to sit there all the time and feed the baby when everyone has got to eat. I know I did prop the bottle for my dd a couple of time when I had to cook dinner and stuff but she was always in the same room with me and I watched and talked with her while I cooked. I know my 1rst son always wanted to be held while fed and he ended up co sleeping with me because of it. My other 2 never co slept, well only when sick. It's not heartless if she does spend time with the baby in other ways.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010