At what age should a child have a cell phone.

I was just curious at what age you guys think a child should have a cell phone to carry to get in touch with you if they needed too.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• When you and your child will not be in each others company. If for nothing but safety.

And waiting until they can pay for it is IMO just nuts. I am a single working mom. He has to have one to keep in touch. And no, my son would not run up a bill. He knows I would kill him. He has a cheap ass prepaid that is $10 a month. Wow, big spender i am and big deal to keep up with. *sarcasm*
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When they are mature enough to be away from you unsupervised.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure an age is going to be the answer, but maturity. And as soon as they abused it, I would take it. I will be monitoring it weekly for sure when that time comes. But mine are just babies, so who knows what will be out in a decade or more!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't think there really is a set age. I think it depends on : the parents reason for/against, the child's maturity level, reasons for needing/wanting a cell, and how it would be used.

My son had his first cell by 11.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My sister has had one since 10. She is 12now. My mom pays 125 monthly for both of their phones together.
    She's responsible with her phone
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When they start going out by themselves.. My daughter is six and I have a cell phone for her to carry when she's on vacation with her grandparents, school trips, camp, playdates or just to the park across the street while I'm watching her from our porch.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When you can afford to pay the bills for their useage. My teens are 16 and 17 ~ no phones... I don't even have a cell phone. My friend got her daughter one and then received a bill the next month for $689 in text messages.... nice....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son was 10. All his friends were that age also.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my oldest got one 6 months ago at 11, but she is now allowed to walk to friends homes after school and such,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When they can pay for it. But, that is how it is in our house for everything that they don't NEED.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010