need some words of encouragment.........

im trying really, really hard to quit smoking and right now i want to cry! i tried a week ago with the patches and they gave me a welt, and today the gum is making me nauseated. all i really want is a ciggarette but i really dont want one!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 4:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hi Cassie! I'm a smoker, so I understand your pain!!! Go GET BUSY girl! (and I don't mean it in the "funny" sense of the word) Start cleaning your house, go outside and garden, play hard with your kids, etc. You need some physical activity to get your mind off of smoking right now!! On top of that, go get some some gum, get some suckers, change up your routine so you're not doing something you would normally smoke after. Try to stay around other smokers right now, too. That's always my biggest problem with trying to quit!

You can do it!!!!!!!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• u can do it
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well I've never been addicted to cigarettes so I don't know what you're going through, but just imagine that little baby inside of you, breathing in that horrible smoke. Cause when you smoke during pregnancy, that's basically what your unborn child is doing. I'm sure its hard but you will have to sacrifice many things once you have a child...and sacrificing something that is not only bad for you, but is bad for your child, and everyone else around you, should be the easiest thing to give up. Many women have quit something during pregnancy because they have someone do to it for! Someone who has no choice in the matter. YOU CAN DO IT! Keep yourself busy, or eat a snack or chew some REGULAR gum every time you want cigarette. Try to switch the habit with something healthy. A friend of mine ran a few laps every time she wanted a cig. Now she's addicted to fitness!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Are you pregnant? Think of the guilt you would feel if something happened to your baby. Also, maybe just cut out the nicotine altogether. Instead of doing the patch and stuff just get the withdrawal over with- I think the physical withdrawal only lasts a few days and then you have the (much harder) psychological aspect to deal with. It helped me to chew gum, suckers, etc to distract myself. It also helps to drink lots of water and wash those toxins out of your body faster. You can do this!! As a mother you will do all sorts of things you didn't know you were strong enough for, you will make sacrifices you never imagined possible and you won't even really mind because it is for your child. This is just one of the earliest tests. Commit to cutting out cigarettes and get rid of them so you don't have the temptation, even avoid smokers for a while if you can. Good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• hope u make the right choice 4 u and if u are pregnancy hugs
    momromtheheart

Answer by momromtheheart at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• YOU MADE THE 1ST STEP! WANTING TO QUIT! DON"T LET THOSE WHO NEVER SMOKED MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY! THOSE OF WHO HAD NOW IT HARD TO QUIT!!!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

good

Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OH I know how you're feeling. I quit when I got pregnant and the first few weeks were awful. Months later though, and the want is still there, but not so bad. It's actually nice to be able to do whatever without having to worry about when I'll be able to smoke or where or if I had any with me yada yada yada. I know you can do it!! ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I understand how you feel,Hon. I quit smoking when I was pregnant with my daughter 24 years ago. It was hard, yes, but I focused on the fact that I was doing this for her. I know it's hard and the craving is sometimes unbearable, but YOU CAN DO THIS! Think of the money you're saving by not buying cigarettes and how you can use the money for the baby. Good luck!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i only smoked for a summer and i dropped it like nothing so idk.. but you can do anything you set your mind to! just dont give up goodluck to you<3
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 8:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Taking the first step is the hardest. You have done that. I know that things are rough right now but each passing day will get better. I will be praying for you.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010