Have you ever gone on vacation w/another family?(split the cost)

My dh and I were talkingabout how much less expensive it would be to share (half the cost) Of a condo on the beach or whatever. How do you find someone who might want to do something like that? I would think it would be tough. I think my kids would drive anybody in their right mind crazy!!!

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 4:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Travel

• One year we went to Cancun w/ SIL and her husband. It was a mistake. We didn't have enough in common. But when we met a friend and her family for a vacation half way between where we live it turned out great. You have to really like the people to spend that much time with them.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 1:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I went with a friend from a different city. We used to be neighbors and this is our only chance to see eachother every year. We meet in the smoky mountains and share a cabin. We email back and forth and make a menu. We go hiking and do stuff during the day and at night we cook dinner together at the cabin. We have alot of fun and the kids play together.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have done it with close friends, it was ok. You really have to go with people you like and trust, or else you may end up with a rough vacation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We went with another couple for years. Our family paid half and they paid half. For a while we shared cooking meals, but after our children got older we just went out to eat. I usually took care of finding the place, and the other lady took care of finding what activities were in the area and making reservations if needed. It worked out great. Each couple usually had lunch on their own and only got together for dinner. We also didn't feel that everyone had to do everything. If one couple wanted to shop and the other didn't, that was fine. or if the ladies wanted to go do something and the guys wanted to do something else, that was fine, too. I highly recommend it. It has to be a couple that you know well, otherwise things such as washing dishes or playing music too loud, or who gets which bedroom, and so forth, could cause friction. I always tried to find a place with two master suites.

Answer by Bmat at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You have to be really open with the other family and make sure you are on the same page. We did it once with 2 other families and it didn't go well. The families' parenting styles were very different and there were hard feelings towards mid week. I wish we had waited until the kids were older..........like 7 and older. Then I think it would have been more fun.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We did it with my cousins and the one's family. It went okay, but I would much rather go on our own. I would much rather stay somewhere not as nice and be able to do what we want and not have to take into consideration another family.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010