Who in this situation should pay rent?

I have many issues with my in-laws. My husband and I have been living with his parents for 4 months and expect to be here at least 10 more months so I can finish high school. We have a 2 year old. We use the least power out of everyone because they always leave tvs, fans, and lights on in thier bedrooms and we dont. They accuse us of using the most power because there are 3 of us and have been preasuring us to pay rent.

My husband is 18. His sister is 20 and lives there and his brother is 17 and lives there. They use more power and water then us and are only not asked to pay rent because they dont work or go to school so they are doing nothing and couldnt pay it or make it if they got kicked out. I feel picked on. Why cant they quit being lazy and get jobs and pay rent too? My MIL say because we are married....what do you think?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• it sounds like you have a plan. i know it sounds bad, but this is what i did while staying with my sister, i did dishes i cooked even though they hate my cooking, and i cleaned. i made it a piont to mention, i know i'm working and so is my hubby but i'm just showing you that i'm not a lazy slob that is taking advantage of your kindness. make sure the bro and sis is around when you say it. just kill them with kindness and make sure they know you are grateful for the help they've given you.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think that you should pay rent to live there. Life isn't a free ride. His sister should also pay rent. But the 17 year old should not pay rent. He is still a minor.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with the MIL. Sorry, but if you are old enough to get married and have kids you should be old enough to pay rent.
    Conversely if you are old enough to "Play house" you should be old enough to pay for that house.

They are doing you a favor by letting you stay, get a clue and do your part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Honestly, you should be paying some rent, regardless of who else lives in the house. Fact is, you are using electricity/water - you are creating expense for your inlaws. It is different allowing your own children to stay rent-free vs. one of your children along with a wife and child. This sounds like an uncomfortable situation all the way around, paying rent may help ease some of the problems.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Just because no one else is doing the right thing does not mean you should not do the right thing. You can't live somewhere rent free. Lead by example and pay just because its the right thing to do. Get on your own as fast as you can. You chose to make adult decisions so I htink you have ot act like an adult and pay some rent. Go to his parents and ask them what amount they think is fair. See if you cna come to an agreement about a flat rent amount and a food agreement. Save as much as you can during this time to get out on your own. I think $200/month is probably a fair amount but that should be decided between you, your hubby and his parents. Make sure you express how grateful you are to have a place to live.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I kinda agree with your MIL. You want to be grown ups part of that role is paying bills. It takes money to keep a roof over you and your child's head and if your going to school your husband needs to pay that bill.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IMO, every kid in that house needs to be helping out, especially with no one going to school. I also think it would be fair of the parents to ask you guys to help out a little more being that you have an entire family living there. Time for a family meeting. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• They should pay rent for sure because they are out of school and should have jobs. You and your family should pay rent because you are a family of your own and should be able to handle responsibility.

Answer by Bmat at 4:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think you should pay something for living there. I agree with the pp about the sister and brother.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I will only share how this situation would be handled in my household .

Yes. I would expect my married son with a family to pay rent if he were living in my home. Regardless of how much energy he used or the like. To live in my home, once he became an adult who was not in college or had decided he was grown up enough to have a wife and child, my son would have to pay rent to live in my home. If he's grown up enough to have a family of his own, then he would need to be grown up enough to support them and provide a home for them (even if that included renting from me).

Since I only have the once child, that's all I will comment on. I have no idea what I would do or how I would handle the situation if I had other children as well. I hope you understand :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010