My milk is coming back in?

The weirdest thing has been happening.. I had heard about woman being able to lactate when they're around babies but I never thought it would be me. I dried up when my baby was only a week and 3 days old. I was trying to breastfeed but having a lot of problems getting her to latch on. Somebody had mentioned to me I could still breastfeed and I thought how could I do that when I dried up? But today I've started leaking a little (very little though).. does that mean its not too late? How can I get it to come back enough to breastfeed my baby?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• 5 weeks is NOTHING. Head to the Breastfeeding Moms group and they'll help you.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is never too late to nurse a baby. Even adoptive moms can do it. Just make sure you nurse her A LOT!!!!!! The more you nurse, the more you make. Eat and drink plenty. Maybe even nurse then pump.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you know I BF my baby for 20 mos well now she is almost 2 1/2 and I STILL have milk..I am like goodness we are done! LOL I'd maybe get advice from a lactation consultant and how to increase supply and its a matter if the baby will take the breast if they are bottle fed but never hurts to try and yes pumping will help increase milk supply.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How old is your baby now? I know that before I was pregnant with my little one (11 months still breast fed) I would lactate right before my period started and it was always a very little bit. and it would stop as soon as my period started. If she is older then that may be an option but if she is still really young then it may just be your body preping (a little late) for milk flow. Good Luck
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She's 5 weeks. I had my milk come in when she was 3 or 4 days old. But she didn't latch on because i didn't breastfeed enough right away. I've been thinking about breastfeeding again a lot, and I read on a breastfeeding site that if you imagine breastfeeding your baby that your milk will come back. I don't know.. I'm not sure if I would even if I could, i was just wondering..
    MJ_BN_FE

Comment by MJ_BN_FE (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• the more you do it, the better it gets..i understand there is a pill on the market that will help re-start or increase your milk flow...ur ob/gyn can help you
    bilorianne96

Answer by bilorianne96 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010