Childhood Obesity...

...Is one of the MOST disgusting forms of LEGAL CHILD ABUSE which exists. Yet, anyone who speaks out about it is regarded as meddlesome. How so?

When you gift a child with such a condition which restricts their quality of life, how is it not the business of others around you?
If you were to see a child being beaten in a parking lot, you would react- How is it any different seeing a 5 year old who is so morbidly obese that they can not even play?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It is quite rare that a child is fat because of a genetic influence or a "glandular" problem.
    It all boils down to too much food and a family that is way too" in love with food" and NEEDS to be eating and eating large quantites of food. And then, not getting enough exercise or playing sports because they are too heavy. It is abusive. ANd stupid.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• thats sad...I hate seeing this.Any child abuse is bad but I agree it needs to be looked at more because it sets them up for life long health issues and its hard to change how you eat when the way they eat is all they know.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• granted you never know what is medical weight like form meds or illness but really not every kid you see that is morbidly obese is a medical case.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• agreed!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• NO candy No icecream nothing, they just get it worse ten fold. They are in for a hard life but its not always the parents fault Like kimberly said, sometimes its just genetics!!!

Um, my kids are "normal" but, don't get those things. My husband used to be overweight, I am overweight, my whole family is overweight. We definately have "fat genes" in our family but, all my children are of a HEALTHY average weight. There is no excuse for a child to be obese and if you going to allow your child to have those things then you beter make sure it gets exercised off.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• when you see a 400+ lb woman, and 4 more MORBIDLY obese children that is kind of an indicator that it's not a medical issue.

To me that would signal it is a genetic medical problem as in obesity runs in the family-possibly from a medical condition-possibly from poor eating/lack of movement-either way if you do not know why, you can not judge. There are many things damaging to children that are simply none of my business unless asked. Divorce, teen Mothers, low income- all things that damage kids-but unless I know the reasons and I am asked-I do not comment on these things. None of us are perfect and none of us know eachother's full stories so its best not to meddle. I have seen divorce wreck a kids life at the school where I teach and yet-honestly-as an adult-my job is to care not to judge-my job is to make their time with me better not try and meddle and fix their whole life.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think the issue comes in to this because there are different levels to "obesity." I was told back in May that my son is just below "obese" on the BMI chart for his age, yet, without a shirt you can see his ribs... How is that obese? He's 47lbs and 52 inches tall at 4 years. FAR from obese... But according to his doctor, he meats the numbers. I also think the issue comes in because unlike many types of abuse this isn't always intentional... Many times parents honestly don't know how to eat healthy or live healthy. I work with a lady who grew up eating McDonalds for 3 meals a day every day, and now is having issues learning how to feed her family... I have a husband that thinks Chicken Nuggets are healthy because they are chicken... And then it comes down to who gets to choose how someone feeds or raises their kids? What should be seen as okay? What shouldn't? I would rather see an obese child than one who is starving!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• While I agree with you, I think they should change the guidelines for "obese." Currently, my 65 pound 8 y/o is considered overweight. He is all muscle and most growth charts don't take that into account.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010