weight/daughter

I spoke with the doctor and wanted to know where my daughter stood on the bmi,and he said she needs to lose 15 lbs.she's really gotten chubby when she started drinking dr.pepper,I refused for a long time to let her have it then caved,and let her have it anyways.I spoke to her about how we need to stop drinking the pop and only have it on special occasions if we like. I also told her that laying around all summer sleeping in till 1 and 2 isn't helping her body. She claims theirs nothing to do! I've told her she needs to get up and maybe go walk in the morning,and at night. I'm sure once school starts she will start losing all that weight. She's going into the 7th grade so she will be busy,and will have p.e. What can I do in the meantime to cheer her up and get her to eat? I've told her we can both lose the wieght together which I've actually lost some. She's 12 going on 13 in october so she's hyper sensitive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• can you put her in any activities she enjoys that are active? My kids are younger but we swim alot and being where we are doubt that will change when they get older!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Nothing to do----that phrase in my house gets chores assigned. Good luck with everything, but do remember that at this age, pointing things like an extra 15 lbs can completely destroy self esteem.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You are the parent and buy the food in the house. Stop buying junk food that will make the family fat. What you cook is what she eats. Make healthy meals.

Answer by louise2 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IDK but on this subject i am super sensitive myself. my mom always always always throws weight in my face but my dads side of the family is really big...my aunts are all over 300 lbs except one who is close to 300 and only like 5'2....shed always say your gonna end up like them if your not careful, and i would end up in tears. Never any encouragement to help me, no ideas on walking with me! NOTHING just your gonna be fat talk! she made me buy baggy clothes and such!! it was hell..and now ive lost a lot of weight and shes "fat" for her height! None of her clothes fit.........UGGG

I would definitely say approach this lightly for the sake of your relationships, take her to the library and check out some work out dvds that SHE likes and try them together thats AWESOME mother daughter time and healthy...and maybe google some healthy tasty snacks to make and make them together...i wouldnt alienate her at this point.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't really talk about weight with my DD who is 11. She is a few pounds overweight, but instead of talking to her about it in terms of losing weight, I find fun activities we can do together. We go walking and like to dance around the house. I also have gotten her more involved in helping to cook healthy dinners. She really enjoys helping to prepare meals.
    jenn1172

Answer by jenn1172 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Jr. High PE is a joke. I wouldn't count on that to help her be active. Are there any sports that she likes or wants to try out?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Instead of putting it on her to get active and do something, suggest things that you can do together. Hey sweetie let's go into the city and window shop, go to the zoo, take a walk.

My mom was constantly telling me how fat I was and how I needed to lose weight. She did nothing to help me. It has made me have a horrendous body image. I could weigh 98lbs and think I was fat, that's how bad it is.

So, cut out all of the junk, especially the soda, even diet soda is not a great option. Just eat healthy. She might not lose much weight, but you might instead keep it stable until she grows again. I know that my kids get really chubby just before they stretch out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yeah if you took away my soda and told me to go out for a walk I would be sensitive too. The thing is start making healthier choices. Go out for a walk with her. Go for a bike ride or swim. Eat baby carrots as a snack. Don't buy soda. Don't talk about it just don't buy it. Drink water as a replacement. I try to have different stuff instead of talking about how were doing with out. Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Start taking family walks after dinner. Make them enjoyable and NOT like exercise! Serve 3 balanced meals per day. Have healthy snacks available and only allow "junk food" once or twice a week. Cut out the soda (150 calories in 8 ounces is a lot!) Drink more water. DON'T drink DIET SODA! "They" say it actually makes you eat more calories.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Okay, my 11 year old had about that to loose when she was 9. Her Dr. told me that 85% of kids are overweight because of what they drink. We switched to 2% milk, sugar free Koolaid, and WATER... I keep cold water on hand ALWAYS. We also watch carbs ,starches, and salt BIG TIME...I keep cut up veggies convenient on the top shelf of the frig, fruit on hand , and things like string cheese, yogurt, lean turkey, and very few "naughty" snacks. A plate should be 1/4 bread or starch, 1/4 meat, and 1/2 vegetables. I was a fat child from the age of 5 on. I was a fat adult ballooning up to 330 pounds and a size 36. I am 5'8. Since then, my daughter shot up in height, lost the weight and, I lost 120 pounds. My daughter, Ariel is 11, stands 5'4 and weights a healthy 112. PLEASE, take my advice. There is nothing harder than being the big kid and then having to struggle with being a big adult.Health is a lifetime gift..
    cyndimcd

Answer by cyndimcd at 4:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010