If someone you knew committed suicide...

shouldn't you be upset or feel something? I don't. It's been years since I worked with her but she was horrible to me. she talked nasty to me she was mean and said hurtful things... I found myself more amused than upset that she had shot herself. Not like evil amused just like 'wow, who'da thought' kind. I am not even the slightest bit upset. I feel like I should be. After all it's a horrible thing even if she was mean to me...I dunno. Shouldn't I feel something?

I Have no idea what section this goes in...dang we need like a depression or loss section or something...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can't help what you feel. If anything, do you at least feel sorry for her family? Regardless of what she was like someone still probably loved her!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There is no wrong or right way to feel. Our feelings of a person are shaped by how we interacted with them. Some people feel baby for people all the time. Others do not because they don't know the person. I would feel bad about the situation because it's sad. But at the same time if I did not have a good relationship with that person I would not Sulk it. I'd just say wow that sucks and move on with my life because there is nothing really we can do to change what has already happened.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't feel obligated to mourn people I was not close to. And, frankly suicide is one of the most idiotic things a person could do, and I have lost a couple friends to suicide over the years. If you can't find a way to enjoy your very short life, the only one you get, then maybe you don't deserve it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My mom used to say be nice to people like her bc she had to be miserable to treat people that way. This is why we really shouldn't judge others. Their pain is why they are so angry and hurtful toward others. God rest her soul even if she committed suicide
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Me personally.

No I wouldn't feel anything.

Death isn't something that affects me in a negative way though. Death is not sad to me, or an ending...etc. I don't really mourn,or anything like that.. And that's when it's people I actually love and care for..

Someone I don't love or care for, or really know, much less someone who was nasty to me or someone I just didn't like. Their death means nothing to me one way or another. It just is what it is, nothing more nothing less. It's just a death. Something natural that's going to happen to all of us at some point and time. Nothing to feel sad about, nothing to mourn, nothing for me to even really think twice about.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husbands best friend hung himself with a chain. I feel horrible about it because my husband is not the same, he lost someone who was basically his brother. Maybe her death doesn't affect you but I would bet that she has family that misses her terribly and I wouldn't go around saying you don't care.

Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with Obby....i dont see myself mourning the loss over someone i wasnt close to...sounds awful i suppose outloud..but really why would you feel the loss if there were never positive memories or what not between the two of you....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't think you should feel bad - she wasn't nice to you. You can be sorry that she died, sorry for her family and friends she left behind.....but hey, you're alive - you have to go on living. Put it behind you and move on.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would never say 'I don't care' even though I don't. I'm not stupid.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Agree about needing a section like that.

Anyway, I only recently found out that my Oma (grandmother) had committed suicide. Honestly I thought she died of natural causes (she was 84+) so it was a shock. But honestly so many years passed that it didn't have an effect on me. I wasn't close to her anyway (neither was my mom, her daughter). She was not a very nice woman from what my mother tells me. I don't think you can be forced to have feelings about someone, regardless of our relationship with them.

In another situation, can kind of relate. My middle/high school coach was the biggest jerk on the planet AFAIC. He was always mean to me and I could tell he hated having me in his class. 2-3 years ago he was killed in a drive-by shooting in front of Walmart (he was just a bystander). My former schoolmates were expressing what a sad loss it was and all I could think of how he was a jerk to me and I still don't mourn him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010