For the first time I'm letting him sit in his crib and cry

I'm a SAHM currently, looking for work and I go to school.

I am so stressed out, he's 9months old. I just am at my end. My SO is working all day, I have some legal matters I have to work out, and I have some schooling I need to work out as well, all while trying to find work.

I understand he's a baby but he is so whiny when he gets tired. But here's the thing, he'll fight the fact that he's tired and after I nurse him he gets re amped and way whinier than before. I just am getting to the point where I can't listen to it anymore.

I can't even take a piss with out him screaming about it, or walk to the kitchen for some water, I have a bad back and carrying him 24/7 is just making it worse.

He's been in his crib for about 5minutes and is still screaming/crying. I'm so stressed out with everything.

advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• awwww...is he just tired? If they get too tired they are unbearable! It may help if you can get him on a schedule and to bed before he gets too tired..I believe in CIO and I have had to place a colicky baby in her bed for sanity for a few moments. She was my second so I was at wits end. I work and go to school so I feel some of your stress...My youngest is now 2 though. Just check on him. Maybe you can sooth him to sleep...good luck!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When it is time to sleep, for his 2 naps (unless he is just down to 1) and bedtime, just nurse him and then lay him down. He will be find and it will take a few days to a couple weeks, but the crying will decrease and he will go to sleep without so much crying. He will be okay.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• 9 months is an ok age to start teaching self soothing. if he has a favorite bear or something make sure he has it. regaurdless of what some may say, it is fine to let him cry. it is far better than getting angry at your baby.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• GO PICK HIM UP!

You are making things worse by leaving him to cry on his own. I understand its stressful sometes..and I so I think you need to get help..but it is no reason to let your child be left to cry...He needs you...My son went through a phase at around 9 -10 months of being super clingy..and then not long after he got over it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Get a Moby Wrap and just wear him..it may help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It sounds like your life is just a living hell and you need someone to talk to.
    letting him cry is good for a time.
    But not every day and all the time.
    It can make him sick and vomit.
    Get him a bouncy chair or a slim line swing for wally World and while you work on line just have him there with you.
    The Bouncy Chair or Bouncy Seat you can get for almost $30.00 at a walmart would do him wonders.
    It truly would shut him up. Use Passy or Binky. If he bottle feads use Juice or water and give him just something for his mouth.
    Try letting him watch TV While you work.
    Did you think maybe him could possibly be teething?
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You just described my 9 month old, but it is a completely normal stage especially when they are becoming more mobile. However I hate hearing people say that they need to learn to self soothe...really, self soothing is a milestone that they learn when they are physically ready to do so, we don't leave our babies on the floor to cry so that they can learn to crawl or walk or talk. We guide them and teach them these things why shouldn't sleeping be the same? I have raised 8 kids and not a single one was ever left to cry, I will never understand the mentality that says it is ok.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I used to sit in the floor and let my son play on the floor next to me. I got a lot done that way when I was in school. I read and he played. As long as he could be touching me he was fine. You won't get anything done with him screaming. Mine son would scream until he threw up. I couldn't have that so I compromised.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you are going to try this be consistent for awhile and see how it goes. Have a set routine when it is time for naps and bedtime. Whatever it is.....diaper change, shades pulled, music on, rocking a little, etc...make it the same everytime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I know they don't understand a lot at this age but I nurse my little one (11month) and then as we walk to her room I softly and sweetly tell her we are going nite nite. I say it several times as we walk to her room and then I lay her down with her glow baby and blanket and walk out the most she has ever cried has been 20 min. anything more and I go get her and we do it again in 20 min. I started that about 8 months and now she doesn't cry when I lay her down she just lays there she may fuss a little after I leave but now it is never more than 10 min and it is usually just talking with a little fuss in between
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010