Facing 16 years in prison for videotaping a traffic stop? do you approve of this

do you approve of this application of wiretapping laws ? should it be a felony to make video records of police working?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• need a link
    never heard of this??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• sorry, Fiat, I was working on adding it. CM, let us put links in the questions, please!
    autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No I don't think it should be a crime. If police are doing their job then it shouldn't be a problem of if they're being video taped in public. Don't some of them have video tape? So what is the difference? To me a independent source would be more credible. Maybe if more people taped what they saw in public we'd have less problems.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think its ridiculous, if we don't have the right to film public things happening on the street, why own a video camera. EVERYTHING on camera can be misinterrpreted (sp) but seriously? It's a little ridiculous if you ask me
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• This is what I think: (From the article): The legal argument prosecutors rely on in police video cases is thin. They say the audio aspect of the videos violates wiretap laws because, in some states, both parties to a conversation must consent to having a private conversation recorded. The hole in their argument is the word "private." A police officer arresting or questioning someone on a highway or street is not having a private conversation. He is engaging in a public act.

SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• NO! Police sometimes don't do their job properly and are inappropriate and they need to be caught on tape to prove that not all cops are good. There are bad ones out there.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It's necessary to hold people accountable for their actions. Police forget that they, too, are servants of the public. I'll write a letter.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• it's a felony in many places, and I can't understand how that is justified. there is no expectation of privacy for a civil servant in the performance of their job in public space.
    autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No it's sad
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010