I am thinking about breastfeeding my third unborn son even though i have never breastfed before. I am really nervous about it, what should i do?

Tanisha709

Asked by Tanisha709 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• research, take a breastfeeding class at wic, consider that is a wonderful way to bond wiht your baby along with an immune system boost that no formula gives a baby.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• just research it so you know what to expect! It can have its challeneges but the benefits really outweigh them. I have 3 and BF all three and depending on the ages I found baby 3 I was so busy so it can be a juggle!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Hospitals have Lactation Consultants. They will guide you trough the process. I didn't bf my first born child but I'm getting to do it now with my youngest.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 4:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Just go with the flow ;0) -I made a funny- Like the others said research and even take a class if it's an option. Knowledge and support are keys to success and you feeling more comfortable with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• through the process

Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 4:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i only have one child
    but was open to breastfeeding (and i didfor 8 months)
    when i was in hospital before birth, nurse asked if i was breastfeeding, i said i was going to try
    she looked at me weird, like why did i not say yes, that is what i am going to do

well, breastfeeding a child is not like anything else you can compare it to, so how would i know??

for me and ny child it worked great, she did not latch on for first few hours, i thought no way is that tiny mouth going to fit around my huge boobs, but by day 2, we were all set, lactation nurse came in checked us and siad we needed nothing from her and other moms needed her advice, you two are going fine...so i think that many moms do not know until they try

so do not sweat it, stay open to idea, do not beat yourself up if it is not for you, but do not give up right away-because even though it is the most natural thing=it is the most un-natural thing too
    gl
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I breastfed all my sons & it was the most wonderful experience.Don't be nervous.You'll have plenty of help.Breastfeeding is much easier too. Especially when they wake up every two hours at night.You'll never regret it!!! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding group here on cafemom. They are some wonderful women. If you can take classes on breastfeeding and research the topic. Surround yourself with people that support your decision.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Ask loads of questions on here. LOL And read everything on here. Also go to: http://www.kellymom.com/ , http://www.breastfeeding.com/ , http://www.llli.org/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh yeah...Read Ina May's Guide to Breast feeding.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010