How can I produce more milk?

My baby will be 3 months old on the 9th. I have been nursing since his birth. My diet hasn't changed, I eat normally, but lately I've not seem to produce enough to make him happy. Also my boobs have gone down in size the last week or so..I was wondering if there are any vitamins or something I can add to my diet to produce more. He refuses to take a bottle or formula and I also would like some advice on when I can start feeding him baby rice or oatmeal? Thanks ladies

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NURSE MORE...that is the best way to make more.
    Supplementing will not help, it will make it worse.
    He is probably having a growth spurt and needs to feed more. It is common and ok, just feed him more.
    Food is not ok until at least 6 months and preferably closer to a year if you are breastfeeding.
    And cereal isn't suggested. It will cause tummy upset. His gut isn't mature enough for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• keep nursing. nurse as often as possible. and drink lots of water.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• do u have a breast pump? try adding in a pumping session between his feedings, it might make it difficult for the next feeding but this will help increase your supply, and u can always feed him what u pump if he's not full. also eating lots of oatmeal helped me to increase BM supply, i know there's some other foods too that help with it. Good luck :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Nurse more frequently and make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. You need lots of fluids to stay hydrated yourself and to help produce milk.
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you have to eat more healty foods. There are times you may not feel hungry at all but you have to make sure you eat well balance diet because of the baby and your own health. You have to continue to nurse too that will help you to produce more. You have to make sure you did not stress your self and try to rest.
    oba

Answer by oba at 5:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Most likely you don't have a problem at all. It's normal for your breasts to start to feel more "empty" as time goes on. It's just your body regulating itself. As long as your baby is peeing like a champ (6-8 wet diapers) you are perfectly fine. If you think he isn't getting enough, odds are he's going through a growth spurt. Just nurse on demand and you'll be fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Drink lots and lots of water. Also I agree with Christina807, I have been BF for seven months and my milk seems to come in as she is nursing. But lots of water helped me when I was thinking I was drying up.
    dreamhopefaith

Answer by dreamhopefaith at 5:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Its normal to feel empty and no longer have engorgement. Alot of women think this means they arent making enough milk but it is just your body regulating and what not...
    Just keep nursing. My daughter nursed every 1-2 hours all day untill she was about 10 months old then started slowing down.
    Don't supplement, and don't pump and feed. Pump and freeze if you want but pumping and then feeding them that milk later on will just make your body think that it shouldnt produce milk at that time, kwim?
    I am sure your baby is getting enough!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Continue to nurse on demand and drink plenty of water. Your supply will catch up if you are having a supply issue.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• 1. its normal not to feel engorged at this stage. breasts are like perpetual fountains, NOT milk jugs :)
    2. early milk production is over production because of hormones, at around this time its supply/demand driven. YOU MAKE WHAT THE BABY TAKES.
    3. its normal for a baby of this age to be perma-tached. he is suckling to build supply in preparation for a MAJOR growth spurt. expect another at 6 months, 9 months 12 months etc. sometimes with mini spurts between. expect him to outgrow your favorite outfit overnight.
    4. look at output, what goes in must come out. 6-8 wet diapers means he's getting plenty.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010