How do I say no nicely?

I have this neighbor who is cleaning out her house and keeps wanting to give me stuff like clothes and shoes. How do I say no nicely? Or should I just say it doesn't fit and would you like me to bring it to goodwill for you? This woman is weird and doesn't really 'get' social situations.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 4:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just say no thank you
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yeah, say something like, "Thanks very much, but I don't really need anything. I would be glad to take it to Goodwill for you." GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Throw a drink in her face.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You just tell her "No thank you. I don't really need those things right now".. Or "Thanks but no thanks... " lol..

Really just being polite is your best bet.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you could say that you are trying to de-clutter too and be on her side
    then offer ..say you are trying to declutter and are taking your things to the thift store for donation,
    you would be happy to take hers too as long as you are going anyway
    ??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would just say "Thank you for your offer, but I really don't have any room, or any need for this. I appreciate you thinking of us, but, I just don't need it." Then you could offer to take it to Goodwill or something like that for her. Just be as nice as possible :)
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If she is bad at social interaction... I would just take the stuff and donate it. Make her feel like she is helping.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• just say something along the lines of Thank you so much for thinking of me, but I really don't have room for , or need anything at the moment, or I am trying to de-clutter my home as well (great minds think alike . I hear good will is accepting items. that is where I am taking my things. If you need help with anything just let me know.....
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If she gives you something you plan to take to Goodwill, you need to be careful. She may expect to see you wearing or using some of the items. Just say, "No thank you, but you can get a credit to take off on your taxes if you take the stuff to Goodwill or Salvation Army." Offer to help if you want, but make it so it is worth her time to not give it to you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You simply say I don't have room to store anything else in my house no I don't want any more items but thank you for thinking of us.

Then your next statement should be I can call a good will truck to pick things up for you if you like but I don't have storage space in my house and I don't need anything else as were doing ok. Maybe suggest to her she could donate all this stuff to a women shelter if she don't want to give it to good will. Or suggest to her to post it on free-cycle or the free section on craigslist. where she can post things and people come to her house to pick up the items and saves her a trip to good will or other places.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010