spanking 13 month old?

Is it OK to spank a 13 month old baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No. What good does it do?
    Anonymous

• I say no. I have 5 kids and I spanked 4 of them. I was young and I didn't realize that babies don't know what they are doing wrong. Babies are not born knowing what life is like. They need to be redirected until the get older. I have just started spanking and I mean he just gets a pop on the butt after a warning. He is 2. I tell him that's a no no touch and if he touches it again he gets a pop. I get to his eye level and explain it to him. Like he is only allowed to get 1 book so I tell him at eye level you can take 1 book at a time, if you get more put it back or you will get a spanking. And he only gets one book. He tells me to get one book. it's a matter of repeating over and over till they get it. Babies learn really quick and they are a sponge they pick up on everything. So just give it time baby will start to understand more as baby grows. No need in spanking until they can understand that they are wrong.
    skywatcher1973

Answer by skywatcher1973 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i can understand i get at my wits end sometimes too and im hispanic its normal for spanking in my background but i have a few times and i have learned through hard lesson that spanking promotes anger/hostility and above your child will end up imatating your behavior,so now i dont spank anymore i give time outs,take toys away,and put him down for an early night.it works if your consistant.im now 100% spank free but im working on my screaming and noise level,hes gotten loud too because of watching and hearing me.good luck...remember consistancy
    tzingillusion21

Answer by tzingillusion21 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would say no, especially depending on the situation. We do spank our son, who is 22 months but only if he is doing something that is dangerous and doesn't listen when we tell him to stop. A spanking hurts less than what could really happen. At 13 months we would tap his hand to get attention instead of spanking for those reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I say no. They are too little to understand. You have to teach them right from wrong first before punishment. By 2 a child knows right from wrong. Just talk to the child for now. They may not understand you at first, but they will start to understand in the next year. Just be sure to explain WHY what they are doing is wrong/bad.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree with danger though. (ie; child runs into the street after you told them not to and it it is not safe. I would much rather my kids get a little sting on their behind then get hit by a car.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Its my husband doing it, I have asked and asked for him to STOP, and he won't. He never spanked his other child, a 7 year old girl. I'm soooo pissed, seriously thinking about leaving for the first time ever, and, our 5th wedding anniversary is the 25th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I choose not to spank my son. Instead I slap his hand and give him a stern "NO". Yeah, he cries, but only for like 3-5 seconds. And only bc I wont let him play with whatever he wasn't supposed to have. However, if he has been reprimanded for something more than once but he continues to do it, try a quick spank. My son has a habit of sticking his hand in the toilet and splashing in the water. Ugh. And he does it every chance he gets. So now he gets a spank when we catch him doing it. Personally, if I were you, I would start simple and work your way up.

dys_momma

Answer by dys_momma at 7:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• At this age a light tap on the hand and being told no is usually all they would need.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2008