Does anyone else get frustrated with their DH??

So, my husband has been home with my 17 month old son for the past couple weeks due to time off work (involuntarily, but long story). Does anyone else get incredibly frustrated that their DH's can't seem to handle things with the kids??
My DH just called me to tell me that my son fell asleep in the middle of the floor for a nap. Couldn't he tell he was tired?? Poor kid - put him in his crib! lol Just an example.
I don't know what they do all day, but when I get home, I can tell my son has been into EVERYTHING he shouldn't be. It makes me scared sometimes for his safety too...maybe that he's getting into the bathroom without my DH noticing, etc and turning on the hot water... ? Am I totally alone in feeling this way??

Someone please share their stories!

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DH is great with the kids BUT he has his way and I have mine. My first and hardest lesson to learn as a mom was this - if the kid is breathing and happy then I need to step back and just let Dad do his thing. It's so not worth the stress or arguments. I'm not there so I can't say what is or isn't going on in your home. I can tell you this - when I go out and DH is home with the kids (now 8 and almost 6) I come home to a house that looks like a tornado ripped through it and a dad that's exhausted. The kids probably had more snacks than I'd allow and they may have watched a show I don't usually let on or played games that I discourage...BUT, frankly, its not the end of the world. In some ways I'm more laid back than DH. And in other ways, *he's* more laid back. In the end, our kids are damn lucky to get the best of both worlds. Of course DD had to learn to do her own hair when I travel once a year. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Absolutely! It's like they're afraid they're going to screw up or brake the kid all the time....mine is the same way, every time our kids sneeze he acts like the world is about to crumble. I will tell you what works for me....deep breaths, praying for strength, and hoping that eventually DH will have some sort of breakthrough....
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Dads aren't as nurturing as moms but the kids will live :) I remember when i was little my dad got us ready for school one day because my mom was out of town, and he forgot that it was school picture day. My brother and I both had on our rattiest clothes, my hair was in a very messed up ponytail, and my brother had all kinds of cowlicks sticking out of his hair LOL! They are the funniest pictures. I bet that if you don't criticise the things he does that annoy you, he'll get better and better at it, especially if you bring up the positive things that he did instead. Worth a shot!
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 5:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I am TOTALLY in the same boat!! I literally have to give my SO directions on our two year old is and isn't allowed to do! But I've slowly gained more confidence in him just by talking with him and airing my concerns. He does things differently than I do, and lets her eat ice cream with lunch, but nothing that is really going to hurt her. I figure its special "daddy time" :-)
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When am I not frustrated at my DH, that's the question, LOL.

Mine can handle our son pretty good though and he keeps a good eye on him. The only thing I'm wondering about right now is how he was not able to get him to go potty at all on Monday. He went 5 times this weekend (yay!) and he went 2-3 times yesterday when I was home sick (DH is out of work). But the two of them home alone and accidents all over the place. Bleh.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My SO stays home with my son all of the time, so I can be with my sister alone, or my mom, or just have ME time. My son is only 8 months but he is mobile and able to get into anything he can stand on his tippy toes and reach, or the newest, standing on other things to reach.

When I come home it is a bit messier than I would like. But he is always safe, never has gotten, hurt, my SO gets on the floor with him to play and I guess between the two of them they take out everything and are both babies at heart and don't put anything away, jk.

just ask what they do all day
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• mine was great when she was tiny (he has two older kids) but his knowledge seems to end when she starting being moblie

in my opinion, dads let the kids roam free to explore and moms bring them in close for protection
    it is a good balance, but a balance that drives moms crazy

example, step son was climbing tree in backyard, way to high up imo, i told him that he could not climb it unless dad was home, well that tree broke off in a storm a few weeks later, it was not a huge storm and the tree was not hollow of rotten after it broke off
    it could have broke when he was climbing-thank God it did not happen that way
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes. When our first baby was born I had the same problem. Mine didn't have to take time off and be with him a lot but the odd trip out for me, like grocery shopping by myself, I'd come back and clean up. Now that we have two my big concern is that my husband doesn't have the "mommy eyes in the back of the head." lol He just doesn't spend loads of one on one time with them due to his job so when he has to be alone with them, it's like he has run a marathon. Doesn't matter that it might only be an hour tops, if he didn't cut his hair so short it would be standing up off his head.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• thats exactly why i dont ever leave my 14 month old alone with my SO for more then 10 minutes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OMG yes they think they can just sit on the couch or do whatever it is that they do and that the kid is fine as long as they can hear them lol. I just dont know how they do that. I cant even sit on the couch for one second after one of mine walks around that corner lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010