In your experience...

Is it a bad sign if in a job interview you are told that they will call you and let you know in a day or two about their decision... they don't call by the second day so you call them... they say they'll let you know when the position you applied for officially opens up (they said they have a guy leaving in 3 weeks and will need someone then)

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 5:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would say that is normally not a good sign.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would say you could take it either way. They may be trying to get the person to stay. If I were you I would still apply other places and go on other interviews.....just to be on the safe side. You don't want to just sit around (not that you are) waiting for them to call you. Be pro-active, get out there and look for other jobs
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IDK, sounds like they are keeping all their options open. I think your still in the running.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would not be waiting by the phone for that job. Go apply else where.

Answer by louise2 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with the above, they may be keeping all their options open, but I don't think you are out of the running yet. If so, they would have told you something like the position was no longer available. Keep up your job search just in case this one doesn't work out though. Good luck!
    pam

Answer by pam at 5:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yeah not a good sign
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Things always change. I wouldn't take it personally or beat yourself up ... unless you know you made some crazy mistakes in the interview. You could have interviewed and then the company could have decided that very day to restructure!
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 5:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would have to say.........

It depends on the type of job it is.

I've had government jobs (county and state) and that's the normal response after an interview (well 1st interview).. Most office jobs I have interviewed for have had that response as well. Any management level job my husband has ever applied for has had that response after the 1st interview.

Some other types of jobs that may not be the normal response. But I really haven't work in any field other than social work myself so I honestly do not know.

Good luck though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That seems to be a normal response. I would continue to look for other jobs, you never know, you might find one that is better than that one.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 5:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• A week in corporate time is like five minutes in real time.

Do you have a connection to the company, either through Linkedin or another network?

Did you send thank you notes to everyone you interviewed with?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010